March 28, 2006 · filed under wedding

life is back to normal now

Hi! I maybe got a threatening comment down below that I better post soon or else! So, here I am. What’s up with me, you ask? Well, I discovered a few things while on my weeklong hiatus from working out (due to illness and visitors). One is that I didn’t gain a single pound despite not working out or counting calories all week. Some of you smart people might interpret this as a good thing, but I say it’s actually bad. It makes me wonder why I try to diet when I get the same result either way! Also, my body is aching from running again. Like even my heel is sore.

Hmmmm what else? Well, there is work. Nothing to discuss there. Domestic life? I made homemade pizza last night. I even made the dough from scratch with yeast and flour and water. It was so good! General complaints? Well, my face is breaking out, which is annoying.

Oh wait, you mean you could care less about pizza and zits and the real reason you are refreshing is to hear about wedding dress shopping?

Yeah, I know. But I have turned a bit schizophrenic about it. I decided it would be a good idea to send pictures of me in different dresses to a bunch of girlfriends. Because I am indecisive and I need opinions and I want to include my girls who live far away and couldn’t be there to meet Yvonne the Bride Violator in person. But trying to take in all the opinions (which I really, really DO want) just confused me more. Here is what I did learn.

Dresses that would look good on the beach don’t necessarily hold The Sisters in their rightful, hoisted up place. The gorgeous (but lacking in structure) dresses at Nicole Miller were nixed because my sister didn’t think I should look like a streetwalker at my wedding. Fair enough.

Some things that are Not Cute on the hanger might surprise you. At a normal bridal shop we went to (where the nice lady let me in the dressing room without her! thank you!), I tried on anything the manager or my friends picked out. One dress, a pretty V-neck A-line with some beading, I totally scoffed at on the hanger. Turns out I am going to try it on again tomorrow to decide if I should order it.

Bridal shop ladies who do not let your sister into the dressing room with you and do not let you touch the dresses yourself and make you strip down in front of them probably do not sell as many dresses as those who just let you do your own thang. Trust me.

For some reason, I have stressed more about finding, trying on, and choosing the right dress more than anything else about this wedding. It probably has to do with the lovetolerate/hate relationship I have with my body. I need the dress to look right for the occasion, look right for my figure, feel good to move in, and fit in my budget. Not as easy as it sounds!

So, there is a chance I will decide tomorrow to buy the dress. But I also might just obsess over it a little more, because it just wouldn’t seem right if I wasn’t unreasonable about at least one wedding detail, right?

1. jessica
    March 29, 2006 6:35 am

I demand to see pictures! j/k It’s great that you may have already found ‘the’ dress. it took me a good two months of searching, and in the end I had it made instead, so don’t think it is unreasonable at all to stress over it for a few days. And, I am sure that whatever you decide, you are going to be a gorgeous bride!

2. Sarah
    March 29, 2006 6:52 am

Thank you for posting!! Finally!! And for letting the threatening poster remain anonymous. What kind of crazy would do that?? Feel free to obsess about the dress. It’s your wedding and everyone has their obsessive detail. With wedding dresses it’s so hard because samples really never fit so you have to guess what it’ll look like once it’s altered. Anyway, best of luck, no matter what you’re going to look gorgeous because, 1. you are and 2. you’re the BRIDE!

3. Alison
    March 29, 2006 10:46 am

Believe you me when I say this is NOT unreasonable behavior! This is your WEDDING and more precisely your WEDDING DRESS. Feel free to obess to your hearts content. Are you SURE you don’t want to fly down to Texas and check out dresses here before you make a decision? Come on – think about it :)

4. amieable
    March 29, 2006 11:16 am

“The gorgeous (but lacking in structure) dresses at Nicole Miller were nixed because my sister didn’t think I should look like a streetwalker at my wedding. Fair enough.”

Oh my goodness that made me laugh out loud! I got your pictures and I will comment on them soon – my yahoo is temporarily broken.

5. Kelly
    March 29, 2006 3:36 pm

So I should break this down into a few points because… I have a few points. Ha.

1. I have had a pizza face lately… meaning, holy pimples batman!! I even went to the dermatologist it got so bad. Luckily it’s getting better. But I feel your pain.

2. Dresses that properly contain, boost, and plump the Sisters are a must have.

3. I was The.Most.Indecisive.Bride.Ever.When.It.Came.To.The.Dress. Give yourself time, and you’ll know what you want.

4. Don’t give up on the diet. You are looking good, and inspiring me. So if you give up, I’ll get chubbier. We don’t want that, do we?

6. Bridehood
    March 29, 2006 4:40 pm

You’re supposed to be indecisive about the dress. It’s probably the most expensive outfit you’ll ever wear so it better be a good one. It’s okay to think about it. Unless it’s from Amy Lee by Hilton Bridals and looks like this http://a1000.g.akamaitech.net/f/1000/806/12h/images.theknot.com/GownDe signers/amylee/knaleef055270l.jpg. Then it’s not okay. Ever.

7. Janet
    March 29, 2006 5:00 pm

jess – I’d like to hear more about how the heck you went about getting a dress made. It’s intriguing, I admit.

sarah – thank you and yes, your anonymity is safe with me!

ali – this is why you are in my wedding! so you can give me repeated permission to be crazee and I have to take it!

amie – look forward to your email :)

kelly – despite the fact that I really want to help you be skinny and all, I ate 4 desserts at lunch today. OOPS! kill me now!

bridehood – not sure if you got the memo that you are my new favoritest blogger ever! (sorry everyone else. just pretend I didn’t say that ok?)

8. Paige
    March 29, 2006 5:08 pm

I love your ring, it’s beautiful. And obsess away about the dress. I wish I’d had the opportunity to. I looked at a grand total of three stores (which were in my price range)in one day. I did manage to find a beautiful dress that was exactly what I wanted for $200. So look hard and in places you wouldn’t normally look. At the “discount warehouse dress shop” I managed to get a discount on my bridesmaid dresses also because I bought my wedding dress there. $400 for 3 bridesmaid dresses and mine. They were beautiful and looked very classy and were quite flattering to my skinniest (anorexic) bridesmaid and my most “attributed” bridesmaid. Good luck to you! :)

9. amieable
    March 29, 2006 6:20 pm

I’m addicted to Bridehood and I’m not even engaged. But I’m attending three weddings this year.

The website is like crack.

March 29, 2006 6:37 pm

I am sad, because I would love hearing just as much about the homemade pizza as I would the wedding dresses and the beach.

Thus is my obsession with pizza.

(can’t wait to see what you pick out!!)

11. amieable
    March 30, 2006 2:42 pm

I know I’ve now commented three times and that’s a bit stalker-ish, but PLEASE tell us what Yvonne the Bride Violator did!

12. Bridehood
    March 30, 2006 11:00 pm

Thanks! I’m loving your blog too, but I’d love it more if you would tell us about Yvonne…

Hehe… I’m like crack.

I just hope it’s not asscrack…

13. Janet
    March 30, 2006 11:10 pm

well if I actually told you the whole Yvonne story you might realize she didn’t ACTUALLY violate me, and therefore I might be unmasked as an exaggerator!

Basically, Yvonne was a 65-ish yr old woman with an eastern european accent who was a bit, um, tart. She would not let my sister into the dressing room with me. And since I was only prepared for getting undressed in front of my sister and not a strange old lady, I was only wearing a thong and no bra to try these dresses on. So, what other choice do I have but to strip down for Yvonne? So I am standing there damn near naked and she wouldn’t let me touch the dresses; she had to slip them on and off of me. And she would only let me try on one size, insisting that anything else was too big or too small (c’mon the whole point of wedding dress shopping is to try it all on and worry about alterations later!). And it’s not like these were designer dresses – they were each like $300-600 dollars.

Anyway, Yvonne seeing my naked tush and almost everything else kinda freaked me out and we left the store in a big hurry.