June 1, 2008 · filed under creative, home

love paint, hate plates

I was going to write about the tragedy that happened at my house this weekend, but it turns out that one of my good friends was good friends with a girl who was brutally murdered this weekend, whereas my bad news was about a broken dish, so it kinda puts it all in perspective, ya know?

But I’ll still tell you about it, even though I can’t get that horrible news out of my head.

Remember back when I was gung-ho about getting the house in order and I took on a 21-Day House Makeover that lasted about a week? Well, this weekend I tried to pick up where I left off. It might take me 200 days to do my 21-Day Makeover (which, I KNOW, is totally missing the point) but I’m doing the best I can.

On Saturday, I finally gave up the idea that we were going to finish painting the house by ourselves and I hired help. Probably my best home-related decision yet — they did such a great job, and I didn’t have to climb a single ladder or clean a single paintbrush or touch a single piece of dreaded blue tape. From the bottom of our first floor stairs to the top of our third floor stairs we have a lovely coat of greige walls and shiny white trim.

While the painters were busy upstairs, I started on my plate hanging project, which I first blogged about in January. And oh, it was such a fun project for about 24 hours.

I started by cutting out paper the size of the plates and hanging them on the wall in a mock-up.

Then I glued these DISC plate hanger things on the back of each plate, following the directions with diligence and care…

Then I waited 24 hours for everything to dry, and started hanging them on the wall in place of the paper cutouts.

So far, so good, right? I got them all done but one, because the glue disc fell off when I picked it up.

WHICH SHOULD HAVE BEEN A SIGN.

But no, I perservered! Maybe it was just a fluke.

Look! Almost done! Nine out of ten!

And then a few hours later, I heard a crash. I knew what it was before I even stepped in the room.

Needless to say, I took the rest of the plates down. I really don’t know what to do next. I’ve already nailed nine holes in my wall and glued up all my plates (apparently with faulty glue). But my pattern doesn’t really work with just nine plates. And I really don’t want any more to fall and break! I’m definitely going to ask for a refund for my glue discs (I mean seriously, WTF?!) but beyond that I don’t know what to do next. Pottery Barn is no longer selling the plates so I can’t buy a replacement.

Ugh, what would you do?

Up next on the house: Hopefully the last of the IKEA furniture assembly, and hanging more things on the walls, but nothing that involves glue. Because I’m kinda mad about that right now.

1. Chiada
    June 1, 2008 11:50 pm

Awwwwwwww,… I’m so sorry! I can totally feel your pain! I had a set of antique plates that my grandmother had given me that were hanging on the wall. Well,one time, when Hub-E and I were having a rough patch in our marriage and were in quite a bit of a situation, I got so upset that I started crying and yelling and banging my fist. Then I kicked my foot really hard and my flip flop went flying off my foot and hit the plates that were hanging on the wall, breaking like 3 of them. I cried even harder.

Oh well. Now I only have about 6 plates, but I just put them up the other day and they still look great even though I know I’m missing some. But you know, no one else knows I’m missing them!

I really think you should still hang those – they are GORGEOUS! – even though one broke. Have you tried using these? It’s what I use on mine and aside from the flipflop incident I’ve never had one break.

Love,
    Chiada

2. Jummy
    June 2, 2008 1:03 am

Aww, so sorry you lost a plate! I think I would see if I can make another pattern for the remaining plates…or see if PB has any more plates hiding in some sort of liquidation store or something (clueless Canadian talking here).

But I love the greige with your gorgeous wood of your stairs and the railing, and that crisp white. It looks absolutely gorg!

3. alyndabear
    June 2, 2008 2:25 am

Oh hon, I am so sorry about your gorgeous plate – but the rest of the wall still looks amazing!

(And I love the greige!)

4. Kelly
    June 2, 2008 6:00 am

You need to get a new plate, and some superglue.

Maybe if you superglue the damn glue disc to the plate, it might stick?!

That’s if you’re stubborn like me, because I refuse to give up on something without a good fight!

5. rachel
    June 2, 2008 6:38 am

I would contact the company and ask for my money back for the glue AND for the broken plates, since they broke solely because of their products. Then look for new plates and maybe those tension hangers for plates.

June 2, 2008 7:34 am

YUCK! I’d be so so peeved. but the rest of them look gorgeous!

7. Stephanie
    June 2, 2008 8:05 am

Bleh. I think I would stick to the regular plate hangers, stupid glue. And did you search a Pottery Barn outlet for the plates that broke? Outlets sometimes have random stuff that you bought at the regular store a few months ago. Not that I am bitter about pants I bought at the BR store and then saw for a fabulous glorious price at the BR outlet. Not bitter. Not bitter at all.

Anyway. I would check and see if Pottery Barn has any more fun styled plates that would match the theme you are going for.

Other than that I would cuss.

June 2, 2008 8:18 am

Sorry to hear about your friend’s friend. Very sad and tragic.

As for the plate, do you think you could find it on ebay??

We have a few plates on our wall using the hangers linked by Chiada. If you go with the super glue idea, have you ever used Gorilla Glue?
    http://www.joann.com/joann/search/search_results.jsp;jsessionid=1QRJY1 OV0Z35CP4SY5KVAFR50LD3OUPU?CATID=cat1110&keywords=gorilla+glue&_reques tid=1218671

9. Edge
    June 2, 2008 8:53 am

My grandmother collected plates. Not as pretty as the ones you have, but from all over the world. One of the most memorable is a plate that has the similarities of the Lincoln/Kennedy assassinations.

~Jef

10. Playful Professional
    June 2, 2008 8:53 am

You could make a replacement plate ? Sorry!

11. Nathan Pralle
    June 2, 2008 9:30 am

Sorry about your plates, but you suck — I love your staircase! Stylin’!

12. Kelly
    June 2, 2008 10:20 am

Oh no! I would be PISSED. And I’d send these photos to the company and get a refund for your plate, too.

13. Marriage-101
    June 2, 2008 10:36 am

I read that article and that is just so horrible about your friend’s friend. I’m so sorry!

About the plates: don’t give up! Try again, but with different glue. And if you can’t find a design to make 9 work, then just do 8 and keep the extra plate for actual use.

14. barnmouse
    June 2, 2008 10:46 am

Maybe you could find a replacement plate on ebay? They seem to have pretty much everything on there (except whatever I’m looking for at the time).

15. Jen
    June 2, 2008 10:51 am

oh no!!! Poor little plate! What is up with the crapiness of those DISC hangers? grrr

I love the greige walls :)

16. What Liz Said
    June 2, 2008 10:52 am

I lost plates in a tragic suicidal shelving unit disaster. I feel your pain.

…oh man, and that story. I can’t believe it. So tragic.

17. Jackie
    June 2, 2008 10:57 am

There is this place in Greensboro, NC that carries random pieces of place settings. It’s kind of like an outlet and I have heard people have been able to find pieces to complete their great grandmother’s old china set. I can’t remember the name and if it has more locations, but it may be something to look into?

BTW, loooooove your staircase….the wall color with the wood and the trim is beautiful!

18. Laurel
    June 2, 2008 10:58 am

Oh no! This is truly a tragedy. Perhaps you could find one or more different sized plates with a similar aesthetic and blend them into a new formation?

As for the adhesive issue, I got nothing.

At least your greige walls are looking beautiful!

19. JP
    June 2, 2008 11:30 am

I’m so sorry to hear about your friend’s friend. So sad!

Did you try eBay for an extra plate?

20. JSauce
    June 2, 2008 11:42 am

Oh no! I’m sorry to hear about your plates, and even sorrier about your friend’s friend.

Check out this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pottery-Barn-Graphic-Garden-Plates-Dishes-Set-4-NE W_W0QQitemZ180247741219QQihZ008QQcategoryZ36031QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

It’s not quite the same as the one that broke, but matches the others!

21. Lesli
    June 2, 2008 1:13 pm

The first place I would look for a replacement plate would be on eBay. Or maybe I would call Pottery Barn and see if they have any in their warehouse? Stupid glue discs!
    Good luck!

22. Alexa
    June 2, 2008 1:31 pm

Keep the shards (sp) of plates- you would be really good at mosaic. Me, not so much!

Sorry dude! I say just look for random plates- it will be cute and fun. I found one of the US Presidents from the ’60s at an estate sale- I should have picked it up :)

23. Kassie
    June 2, 2008 1:37 pm

I would be so enraged. I don’t handle things like this happening to me well. It is best to cool down and then proceed.

I would try to get my $ back for the glue, plus some for the broken plates.

June 2, 2008 2:01 pm

Ugh, I know that sickening crash. Our gorgeous, big clock took a tumble from the highest point in our living room because THE CLOCK FELL APART. Stupid Bombay didn’t replace it because they had a 30-day return policy (“THIS IS NOT A RETURN, THIS IS A COMPLAINT.”), and now I feel smugly vindicated that they are out of business.

Anyway! Do you have a hutch to display the plates? I know it’s not as cool as the wall hanging, but it’s a little less tenuous. What about picture ledges?

June 2, 2008 2:08 pm

oh man that’s awful. i would be so sad too. and your plates are still gorgeous, even if there are only nine of them now :)

26. Emily
    June 2, 2008 4:39 pm

My suggestion is to hang some shelves on the wall and display the plates on the shelves (maybe with a small, subtle plate holder.)

27. Kath
    June 2, 2008 5:44 pm

i’d buy a regular, one-colour plate that matches your other ones (all orange or red or green, but you get my drift), & voilĂ  ! 10 plates again, so no need to redo the pattern ! then i’d reglue using Gorilla glue.

Good luck !

Sorry about your friend’s friend, too, by the way.

28. ambitiousmrs
    June 2, 2008 6:13 pm

That sucks big time – mostly because it messed with your momentum!

Good luck with the return!

29. Heather
    June 2, 2008 10:50 pm

Awww so sorry! Your house looks beautiful though! Try calling Pottery Barn anyway to see if they have them or try a Pottery Barn outlet.

30. Lele
    June 3, 2008 9:12 am

I love the idea. Too bad it isn’t working quite how you like it. You will figure it out!

31. Julie
    June 3, 2008 11:10 am

Ugh!
    I knew that was going to happen.

What about ebay?

32. Larissa
    June 3, 2008 11:42 am

Poor plate! And all your hard work :( But on a happier note, the plates themselves are so cool!

33. Dugi
    June 3, 2008 12:32 pm

Damn! they were great plates.
    hmm just a thought…u could still hang the 9 and in the spot left over hang a custom made plate with your names or a quote or something unique on it or a plate in an unique shape (as in not circle). All the above may work and u may not have 10 holes/hooks on the wall for another few montsh while u work out what to do with it.

34. Lindsey
    June 3, 2008 7:51 pm

Dude, that sucks! I’m so sorry!! I think Pottery Barn needs to find you another damn plate already!!

35. Betty
    June 3, 2008 9:12 pm

I’m devasted for you. They are beautiful plates. I’m sure you could think of another pattern. Work the 9 :)

36. Kristin
    June 3, 2008 10:03 pm

So sorry to hear about your friends friend. How horrible.
    The plates, My suggestion is ebay, it has probably already been suggested, but for some reason i can NEVER read any of your comments, they are always blank. Anyway, ebay has everything. Peopel purposely buy brands like PB and sell it on ebay. It might be a tad more expensive, but if you just need to replacements, it might be worth it. You may want to get wire plate hangers that hold the plate on the top and bottom. You will see just a tiny bit of the wire in front, but I bet it’ll be barely noticeable. At least less noticable that broken plates all over the floor. Or you can go ahead and just be proud of the plate hangers and get some iron ones that are a bit more “fancy”. Just my idea. Love the plates, Love the paint color. Very jealous!

37. Kristine
    June 3, 2008 10:56 pm

Wow you’ve gotten some great suggestions here. I can’t wait to see if you find another plate that will work. That same thing happened to me with those same glue plate hangers! grrrrr. I have these little plates I got in India that are so curved, they’re almost bowls. I wanted to hang them but there was no way to hang them with a standard wire plate-hanger. Then I found those gluey hangers to just stick on the back – I was so excited. Each plate/bowl was way under the weight limit but after a few weeks – I found one on the floor and one hanging by a thread. That company is horrible!

38. Danielle
    June 6, 2008 8:31 pm

Oh! I grabbed the sides of my face as soon as I saw those disks because I knew what was going to happen. And if it hadn’t happened I was going to try to figure out how to tell you it would happen without sounding like a Know it all.

Then I scrolled down.

I’m so sorry.

I have used those too and they SUCK. I lost some pretty Williams Sonoma plates about 6 years ago! And I would totally request a refund.

39. angela
    June 8, 2008 7:16 pm

I LOVE those plates!

40. alas
    June 8, 2008 10:43 pm

I used some plated hangers that are basically invisible from Bed Bath & Beyond. They are super cute too. Sorry about the broken one.