September 30, 2008 · filed under life

good thing I’m not retiring for 30 more years

Those of you who watch the news are alive and breathing know that today was a very, very bad day in the stock market, and for the American and global economies as a whole. But very few of us know what it all really means. I pay attention to this crap and even I don’t really have a clue?!? But that is not stopping me from giving you a very handy, two-part guide to surviving the current economic meltdown.

Step One: Save your pennies. Live below your means. Spend less than you earn.

Perhaps one of these lovely little oinkers will make that task a bit easier?

1* coink bank, uncommon goods, $34

2* copilcus piggybank, art. lebidev studio, not for sale

3* mid-century piggy bank, sparkability, $28

Step Two: Do not read Love is Blonde for financial advice. Read the experts, people. Like these guys:

Steven Pearlstein, Washington Post business columnist. This guy is good, really good. You should be reading him. Trust me. I think he won a Pulitzer for this stuff.

Paul Krugman, New York Times op-ed columnist. Can’t go wrong learning a thing or two about economics from this guy. And hey, he has a blog! He probably also has like a dozen Pulitzers.

Get Rich Slowly: A very solid personal finance blog that focuses on doing small things over a long time to get into better financial health, all this market craziness aside.

The Simple Dollar: Another personal finance blog that I rely on to help me think about simplifying my life and living frugally.

Tell me: Where do you get financial advice and information online? What other resources should I be reading? Who out there is fuh-reaking out about what’s going on in the markets and thinks I’ll probably have to push my retirement back at least another decade?

1. Nathan Pralle
    September 30, 2008 1:42 am

The hardest part of all the sites you read about financial planning and scheming and so forth detail exactly with that aspect — planning. The most difficult part about life is that it’s almost never planned, and even when it works out, it never goes like you expect. Dealing with money goes right along with that — for the best of all aspects of financial smartness, at some point you’re going to get blindsided by something and end up eating ramen for a week. It’s hard to negotiate that.

2. Lesli
    September 30, 2008 12:37 pm

I watch a LOT of CNN and also I like to watch Suze Ormon’s show. But I am far from being a financial expert and far from being good with my money and I like to shop. But I do want one of those cute piggy banks! And, yes, I am on the verge of kinda freaking out–esp. when I saw how much my 40k lost yesterday…although I am years and years and years away from retirement…but still…these are nerve-wracking times….

September 30, 2008 12:47 pm

i go to cnn online to get ideas and i know currently have a financial planner that’s helping me understand everything, i’m so market illiterate, haha.

4. Liberal Banana
    September 30, 2008 1:25 pm

My fiance is fuh-reaking out; he’s much more financially knowledgeable than I am so I’ve been asking him to explain it all to me. It’s so complex! I am so checked out of my 401K that I don’t have any idea how much was in it before this meltdown. So I’m trying to look at it this way: I hope this all straightens itself out in the next 30 years when I’m due to retire. *sigh*

5. Kristin
    September 30, 2008 4:38 pm

I love how you suggest we start SAVING money by immediately going out and BUYING something. Interesting logic Janny pants!

To follow suit, I am going to SAVE my money usually spent on shopping by BUYING a sewing machine so I can make all my own clothes!!! Wish me luck with this overly ambitious endeavor…

6. Jen
    September 30, 2008 10:00 pm

Funny that if everyone had just followed your ‘STEP ONE’, we wouldn’t be in this ridiculous mess to begin with! ;)

I haven’t let myself even look at our 401ks. I’m just pretending they don’t exist right now.

7. Shevonne
    October 1, 2008 1:39 pm

I’m trying not to think about it. I am better off than other people because I don’t rely on credit cards and debt. Hopefully others follow your advice.

8. Kim
    October 1, 2008 2:40 pm

It is scary, we’re trying to buy a house right now. We’re approved, but we have to sell a house to buy the other house and we’re thinking it might not sell in time because of all this.

I do love your first idea – go buy a penny bank!

9. Larissa
    October 3, 2008 12:47 pm

Yes, the economy is quite concerning right now. I go to my dad and father-in-law, who both have great financial advice.

10. marketinggurl
    October 3, 2008 6:45 pm

I wish everyone thought this way all along, we would never be where we are today!

11. Melissa
    October 8, 2008 8:02 pm

Great advice. :)

I’m trying not to blame the economic mess too much on individuals, though. There are probably plenty of people like George and me who are doing the best we can to live by your #1 up there… and yet are still struggling. There are a lot of unplanned events and expenses that can almost drown an average family, as in $10,000 this year for us (bar exam, review course, new garage roof, new back door, new a/c motor, $1000–AFTER insurance covered the rest!—for my outpatient surgery, etc). I know a lot of people get themselves into money trouble, but I’m pretty sure a lot of the problems are just bad timing and bad luck. :( Here’s hoping our economy and our fellow citizens can ALL gradually recover!!!