August 16, 2009 · filed under life

lovely things for which I am thankful

• season premiere of Mad Men
  • the South Street sandwich from Taylor Gourmet (check it out, Capitol Hill folks)
  • Fresh, ripe, juicy peaches from West Virginia found every weekend in high summer at Eastern Market. I bought 4 lbs of them today!
  • Huevos rancheros from Tortilla Cafe just across from the market
  • Footrubs from my husband
  • My gym got new, better-smelling shower amenities. And, the fact that I have actually been to the gym three of the last four days – go me!
  • Sharing milestones (from afar, and online, but still…) with blogger friends, such as Jennifer getting married, and Alynda getting engaged.
  • Making plans for my trip home in just two weeks, followed by a mini getaway to Isle of Palms, South Carolina.
  • My oddball cat, who I keep catching in my canvas grocery bag like he’s ready to go run errands
  • A weekend off from being angry about politics (though I anticipate this starting back up again on Monday. Serenity now!)
  • Two more weeks of flexible working-from-home before I go back to daily office attire and commuting
  • Enjoying the last few moments of my weekend with the husband…goodnight all!

Got any lovely things to share going on in your life?

1. Playful Professional
    August 16, 2009 9:32 pm

I love the Farmer’s markets in the area. I went to the Old Town one in Alexandria this weekend and got all sorts of delicious stuff.

2. Zandria
    August 17, 2009 6:47 am

What are you going to do with four pounds of peaches? Eat them separately or bake?

Email me and let me know about the new office situation!

3. the ambitious mrs
    August 17, 2009 7:51 am

This is totally random but have you heard of Five Guys hamburgers? My friend swears they’re the best, from DC.

4. alyndabear
    August 17, 2009 11:12 am

You’re too sweet, Miss Janet. x

And Oscar does the same thing with our canvas shopping bags – honestly, why spend money on ANYTHING toy related for cats, when standard household ‘bits’ are so much more interesting?

Yay for the gym showers! The gym we’ve signed up for near our new place is awesome, the showers are twice as powerful as our one at home. Makes going there seem much more appealing…

5. Nicole
    August 17, 2009 4:29 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE Mad Men!!

6. Jurgen Nation
    August 17, 2009 5:28 pm

That I’m learning more and more how to treat my body as though it’s actually worth a damn; Matt; Jürgen, friends, family. Massages (we call them “bear paws”), naps. Coming out of the gym feeling like a warrior (before you trip over the speedbump and are jolted back to sad, pasty reality). You, lady. I’ve missed ya. :)

7. Angela Noelle
    August 18, 2009 11:53 am

Oh my goodness, I’m catching up on my vacation DVR queue and I totally forgot Mad Men will be in there!!! Yaaaay!!!

August 18, 2009 1:02 pm

oh this all sounds fabulous. i’m quite thankful for weekend getaways as well. i don’t know where i’d be without them every once and a while.

9. Operation Pink Herring
    August 19, 2009 10:56 am

Aw, I’m blushing!

I love all the cool stuff we get from our farmshare, half of which I cannot identify, but it’s all tasty and local and I feel like a good earth-citizen.