August 8, 2012 · filed under life

probably won’t, probably will

I love this post from RA about how, in a world where dozens of crafty and domestic accomplishments are posted on Pinterest, blogs, and beyond, it’s good to be comfortable doing your own thing. Even if that means skipping over that tutorial on how to make a pink ombre layer cake with rosette icing.

It’s been good to try new things over the past few years and figure out which of those things I actually like doing, versus which of those just don’t seem worth the effort. Here are things that I probably won’t do, paired with things that I probably will do.

Won’t: Make a homemade birthday card.
Will: Buy a handmade (by someone else) card from Etsy.

Won’t: Bake a cake from scratch (except once a year when I get the itch).
Will: Bake Ghiradelli brownies from a box from Costco.

Won’t: Read a novel, even if everyone loves it.
Will: Read The New Yorker every week, or a really good non-fiction book.

Won’t: Watch a movie in a theatre (unless my husband really wants to).
Will: Become obsessed with old seasons of a TV show (currently: The Good Wife).

Won’t: Host a fancy dinner party.
Will: Make dinner from six random ingredients from my fridge and no recipe at all. And it will most likely be in the form of a quesadilla.

Won’t: Knit. (Been there, sucked at that.)
Will: Sew. In fact, I should really do more fun sewing projects.

Won’t: Beautifully wrap a gift (because gift wrap is essentially “pre-trash” in my mind).
Will: Spend time thinking about the right gift to give someone.

Won’t: Listen to my voicemail messages for days on end.
Will: Call you to chat even if I only have 5 minutes to talk and I’m walking from one place to another, as long as you’re okay with me hanging up as soon as I get where I’m going.

Won’t: Go to the mall. My one exception is Nordstrom a few times a year.
Will: Shop online (with a coupon code).

Won’t: Paint or refinish a wooden dresser.
Will: Drive across town to buy an old dresser from craigslist that someone else already restored.

What are your Wills and Won’ts?

August 8, 2012 3:17 pm

Won’t: Ever remember to plan/bake a dessert when having others over for dinner.
    Will: Promptly reply “dessert” when dinner guests ask if they can bring anything.

I also frequently cook in quesadilla form. Such a versatile and delicious meal option!

2. Amie
    August 8, 2012 4:18 pm

I’m so impressed that you read your New Yorker each week. We have piles of them all over our house. So I guess I should say:

Won’t: Finish our New Yorkers
    Will: Read cookbooks cover-to-cover

August 8, 2012 4:54 pm

This is today’s edition for me:

Won’t: bake that delicious french entree I wanted to bring to my french club meeting. No time!
    Will: make my potluck staple: white bean/carrots/dill salad. Easy and delicious and I have all the ingredients

Won’t: have time to do my 4 mile loop
    Will: make sure to take my dogs on a walk

Won’t: vacuum the entire house before my guest arrives in an hour
    Will: clean the toilets. :)

4. Carrisa
    August 8, 2012 10:51 pm

Won’t read a novel or watch a movie in the theater? Who are you woman?

This is a fun idea I might have to steal. Mostly because I need time to think. I can’t think of anything right now. At least not anything appropriate.

August 9, 2012 12:39 pm

I also loved RA’s Will/Won’t post (and have a draft of my own languishing somewhere).

Will: Make cupcakes for book club
    Won’t: Make cute little labels for the food at book club, or a vintage chalkboard menu

Will: Watch the Olympics, a few favorite TV programs
    Won’t: Watch commercials

Will: Devour non-fiction on a variety of topics
    Won’t: Read YA ever, ever again. So not my thing

Will: Send birthday cards to my nieces and nephews, siblings and in-laws.
    Won’t: Spend $20 per person on their birthday and also Christmas. Dude, do you know how much that would cost? **calculating** … **more calculating** … $1,480 per year. Gaaaah.

August 9, 2012 1:31 pm

Won’t: Stress about what exactly my son eats for dinner ever night
    Will: Make sure he is in bed by a hard-and-fast time

Won’t: Change my sheets as often as I should
    Will: Vacuum and Swiffer

Won’t: Stress about a few extra pounds on the body
    Will: Only wear clothes that are flattering

• Janet
      August 9, 2012 1:37 pm

ooh, I didn’t even think about chores!

Will: Do the dishes, scrub the counters
      Won’t: Vacuum. Man, I suck at vacuuming!

And ditto your 3rd one about weight/clothes.

August 9, 2012 3:06 pm

Will: Read labels and attempt to buy fewer things made/grown in China this month per a challenge from my husband
    Won’t: Feel guilty about shopping for our school supplies at Wal-Mart. We have a gift card and money is money!

August 9, 2012 8:56 pm

Omg, I know it’s not your thing but that rosette cake is actually SUPER easy to do… It took me like five minutes to decorate a cake and everyone oohed and aahed as if I was the next Julia Child.

9. red pen mama
    August 10, 2012 8:44 am

Won’t: Remember to buy a birthday card (for anyone).
    Will: Have my girls make cards.

Won’t: Eat frozen pizza.
    Will: Make pizza dough from scratch.

Won’t: Join Pinterest.
    Will: Continue to blog.

And that brownie mix from Costco is The Bomb! It is my go-to for a spur of the moment sweet treat.

August 10, 2012 10:26 am

Yeah, I’m so glad you posted your own version! Color me MAJORLY impressed that you read The New Yorker every week. I tried it a couple of years ago, but I couldn’t hack it! If only they did a first-issue-of-the-month-only subscription, because I’d be all over that.

I am with you in being anti-theater for movies. I always manage to sit by the Chatty Cathies! And then I RAGE the whole time because I am too afraid to confront anybody to SHUT THE FREAK UP. I am getting bristly just thinking about it.

August 11, 2012 4:06 pm

I LOVE This post so much (and RA’s). Might have to do my own. . .