August 13, 2012 · filed under miscellany, pregnancy

girl names up for grabs

When we learned we’d be adding two boy babies to the family, of course the first thing I stressed out about was naming two more boy children. Boy names are hard, and we’ve already used our #1 favorite.

And of course I was a little bit sad to not use our girl names. But who says they need to go to waste? Someone else should take them! Consider them up for grabs:

Ellery – I love the slightly different take on a pretty common prefix for girls these days of Ell–. I always thought Miller and Ellery would be a perfect sibling set.

Ellison – This name was Andrew’s favorite and I love it, too. Just like Ellery it starts with Ell– but is not Ella or Ellie, which are much more popular. I think I would have tried for the nickname Elle.

Holland – I was totally ready to “steal” this perfect name from a fellow blogger, and had even asked her permission to do so (before we knew about the boys). I just LOVE it and I think it goes perfectly with Miller. It did not exactly go perfectly with Andrew’s top boy name, but I suppose we avoided that dilemma by not having a girl!

Felicity – Andrew vetoed this but I adore it. It’s so happy and whimsical. Nickname could be Cece/Cici.

Annika – One of my very favorites that Andrew vetoed. I love Annika and I LOVE the nickname Annie. My grandpa called my grandma Annie (her name is Ann) and it was always so sweet.

Mira – While not at the top of my list, this name feels simple and lovely, and would work on a young girl or a grown woman.

If we had ended up with twin girls instead of twin boys, I think they probably would have been named Ellison and Holland (Andrew’s fave + my fave). For the boys, we are coming close (maybe? possibly?) to settling on their names, but don’t plan to officially name then or share the names until they’re born. But oh, I hope you will like them.

What girl or boy names will you never get to use? What names should we consider for our boys before we make the final decision? Does anyone want to call dibs on naming their daughter any of my suggestions above? Go forth and talk baby names!

1. Jen
    August 13, 2012 6:09 pm

You have lovely taste – I especially love Felicity and Ellison. If only we could name other peoples’ children as well as our own…

2. Janet
    August 13, 2012 6:55 pm

My fave girls names (which maybe I’ll get to use?):
    1. Liliana
    2. Stella
    3. Vivian
    4. Elodie
    5. Avery

August 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Wow I love Holland! I think it could work on a boy, too, actually. I think I’d personally hesitate to use it because I live in a very heavily Dutch part of my state, and there is even a popular beach town nearby called Holland. But I’m adding to my list of names to consider. Thanks!

4. Josie
    August 13, 2012 7:09 pm

My daughters name is ellery so I’m excited to see you mention it here! It’s a great name though nobody has ever heard of it, surprisingly. But they love it once they hear it

5. Sian
    August 13, 2012 7:19 pm

Great names!

The name Eleri (Welsh spelling) is on my list of possible names for a girl! I might not use it because a close friend had a girl this year whose name is Eleni, pronounced in the same fashion. :(

I love the name Athena for a girl (Greek goddess of war and wisdom) but wouldn’t use it because my ex was originally going to name his little girl that!

My cousin is Felicity and we call her Flick or Flickity lol! :D

August 13, 2012 7:21 pm

I don’t think I’d really heard of any of those names before, but I love them all! So cute and different.

7. Carley
    August 13, 2012 7:26 pm

Lurker coming out to say, I looove the name Annie. We named our daughter Annelise and call her Annie. I always say that in so many of my favorite movies, there is an Annie! We have a Dexter too. Congratulations!

8. Laurel of Sass Attack, RIP
    August 13, 2012 9:01 pm

I call Annika!

August 13, 2012 9:20 pm

Have you met my friend Lindsley? Her children are named Braeden, Ellery, Holland and Grey. So needless to say I think you two would get along. ;) Colin has a cousin named Holland who is male, so that one doesn’t need to be out I guess!

August 13, 2012 10:44 pm

My niece’s name, which I think you might like, is Hollissa. We call her Holli, but I just think the full name is so pretty.

I’ve always had a really tough time with girl names. I think my favorite is Samantha but the husband vetoed it. I also really like Natalie. Also vetoed. My husband has way too many ex-girlfriends with great names.

11. Meredith
    August 14, 2012 1:22 am

I have an Anneka Mae of my very own. She’s named for her two great grandmothers-Mary Anne and Vella Mae. She’s four now and everyone seems to have their own nickname for her. Mommy calls her Annie, Daddy. Alls her Nika. Oma calls her Annie Mae and Grandma Yo calls her Annie Bananie. I have loved this name since I first heard it and I have no regrets!

August 14, 2012 10:01 am

Oh man! I LOVE all those names.

Ezra has a friend, Ellery, at school. And another friend (girl) named Elliot which I love.

Mira was on my list when we were pregnant with Ezra, but T and I both felt it was too many “aahhh”s with our last name. I still love it, though.

My favorite name for a girl was Fleur but T doubted that anyone in the Midwest would be able to manage it (and with the flair I think it deserves. Heh).

• Sian
      August 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Surely thanks to the Harry Potter books, most people should know how to pronounce Fleur by now! I love that name, too! :D

August 14, 2012 10:45 am

I have a freind whose daughters are Annika and Emilia, and I love those names. Classic, but not overdone, which makes them awesome.

I also love Felicity. You have such good taste in names — can’t wait to meet your little boys and find out their names!

August 14, 2012 1:28 pm

I’ve always liked Annika (pronounced with an A like “Annie” and “Apple”, and also with an A like “Awwww, so cute!” and “Onomatopoeia.”

I always liked the name Harley for a girl, but now that I live with a man who is IN LOVE with Harley Davidson’s…I just don’t think that will ever work out.

I also like the names Taliesin (Tally-essen, welsh) and I like Ellemossynary (Elle-moss-a-nary, which means “charitable), but that seems like a lot to saddle a kid with, nicknames be damned. Perhaps I need a pony to name Ellemossynary…yes, I think so. He gets a motorcycle, I get a pony. Seems fair. ;)

August 14, 2012 1:30 pm

Oh, and I have a cousin named Cherstin (Share-stin), which is Swedish and lovely and just, yeah. Love.

16. Kristin
    August 14, 2012 2:58 pm

I love the name Elliot for a girl. Came very close to naming my daughter Breesa (bree-suh) We stuck to very traditional plain names – Alex and Abby. But I love the names SO SO much.

17. Kelli
    August 14, 2012 3:03 pm

Having second and final child in Sept, and its a girl, so we have our favorite boy names up for grabs – Burke, Harris and Briggs.

August 14, 2012 4:41 pm

Lovely girl names! I love Mira very much.

But I am on the edge of my seat to find out what the boys’ names will be! I have two guesses so far, one for you and Andrew each. Can’t wait to see what you decide!

19. anne
    August 14, 2012 7:49 pm

I have a cousin Anneke, pronounced AH-Nick-Uh. She and I have the same last name, so to avoid confusion, I probably won’t ever be able to use that name.

We’re in line to hopefully have one more kid – we have two boys now, Aidan and Brendan, whose names I obviously both love. Some boys names I adore – just in case #3 is a he:

–Beckett
    –Samuel
    –Callan
    –Quinn
    –Ryder

And if #3 is a girl… you bet I have names lined up!

–Cora
    –Lily
    –Annabelle (might be too confusing with my own name?)
    –Aisling (pronounced “Ash-LEEN” = fairy dream)
    –Elianna
    –Mirabai

20. Valerie
    August 14, 2012 10:38 pm

I LOVE all of these names. I can’t wait to see what you and Andrew pick for these little boys!

As far as boy’s names go, I have a Jackson Ross that we call JR. I’ve always loved the name Benjamin and I’m keeping it in mind should we ever have another one. My dear friend has a little boy named Arden which I love.

For girls, I love Margaret (I think Maggie is the cutest name in the entire world), Eliza, Imogene, and Leigh.

21. Morgan
    August 15, 2012 10:34 am

I love all of your choices! Have you heard of nymbler.com? I found my daughter, Finley’s name on there. I really liked the name Sophia, but didn’t want a super common name, so Finley was one of the related suggestions it gave me.

I agree that boy names are harder. My oldest is Judah and that had been my favorite boy name before I even met my husband. Our other two boys are Samuel and Silas.

22. AndreaH
    August 15, 2012 11:12 am

I love seeing my daughter’s name up there :) Although we spell it Anika, pronounced AH-ni-kah. I have met two other Anikas in town since, both under the age of three. Still, it is unusual enough here for us. My husband got me to agree finally to the name (even though i originally suggested it) because he said he loved that my name begins and ends with an A like Anika and it has a K in the middle of it, which is the first letter of his name. With such a sappy reason directed at a 39 weeks pregnant woman, he couldn’t lose… ;)

August 15, 2012 5:59 pm

Love the name Felicity. Can’t wait to hear the boys’ names.

24. Kristin
    August 16, 2012 2:40 am

I LOVE LOVE Ellery. Not that I have a girl to name this…but, if I ever have another I would love this name. We didn’t keep it in the mix for Sylvie (pre-name) because as far as I am concerned it was yours. So thanks for sharing.

Also lately I am loving the name Leisel for a girl, but unfortunately my last name starts with an L, so alas, it may never be mine…. boo.

What do you think of the boy name Prescott. For some reason I thought you might like it.

K

25. Carrisa
    August 19, 2012 12:43 am

Elly and Holly would have been super cute nicknames for your babies. I think boy names are probably harder. Although it could be a good opportunity for each of you to honor your dads by using their names as middle names. (you know, as long as you guys both like your dads)

Grayson is my top boy name these days. I’ve always been a fan of traditional boy names too. Samuel and Benjamin are two I really like. I’m also a big fan of Jamie and Jesse. Are you planning on having both names start with the same letter? Tanner and Tucker. Colin and Carter. Dalton and Devon. Anyways, there’s a few suggestions. Good luck.

August 21, 2012 12:36 pm

I’m not sure I’ll ever have kids, but I always thought I’d name a son Aiden. Until my first dog out of college was named that. It just fit him so well that I couldn’t stand to change it.

Also, I LOVE The Ell- names for girls! So pretty!

27. red pen mama
    August 22, 2012 9:59 am

Even though we are done, IF I had to name another girl, I would lobby for either Gabrielle (call her Bree for short) or Danielle (Dani). Boy names are harder for us, too, but I always wanted a Nathaniel because I always liked its meaning (“gift of God”).

All your girls names are lovely!