August 26, 2012 · filed under pregnancy

notes on pregnancy

I’ve been reluctant to write much here about being pregnant. There are a few reasons for that. First, I feel the need to qualify just about everything I say with a silent “knock on wood” because plenty of things still could go wrong. I’m also very aware of how hard it is to suffer through infertility/loss and read about others’ pregnancies. I don’t want to be insensitive to anyone going through that, and I don’t want it to seem like I’m counting on everything going perfectly for myself.

But if this is indeed the last time I plan to ever be pregnant, I’m sure I will be grateful to have a written record of how it’s going. So here goes…

I’m 25 and a half weeks pregnant, leaving me with about twelve weeks left in an ideal world. One trimester to go! Since my belly feels huge already, I’m a bit terrified of how outrageous it’s going to look in three more months. My biggest complaints right now are general discomfort, cankles, and being constantly overheated.

Same as last year, I plan to leave my job and take an “extended maternity leave” for 6-12 months. The only difference is that I won’t work until my due date, but rather I’ll go out on “bedrest” around the beginning of October. Hopefully this will keep my swelling and blood pressure in check and keep these babies cooking until they are fat and healthy and full term.

We still call the babies Baby A and Baby B. Baby A is, by definition, down low and will be born first. Baby B is up high and around my belly button and ribs. Although they move around and do flips and kicks in their own sacs, they never really change positions relative to each other — B is always on the top bunk and A is always on the bottom bunk. Sometimes they kick at the same time but more often I will feel one or the other. Sometimes I don’t know which baby is kicking me!

Food? I can’t get enough bagels! It’s so bad, I know, but I can’t stop. I also love eggs, really awesome salads, iced coffee, ice water, watermelon, peaches, trail mix, and pizza. Although I feel like I’ve been taking “eating for three” quite seriously, I’ve gained less than 15 pounds. I have no idea how that math works, but I’m not complaining! Oh, and I crave beer like a crazy lady. I’m dreaming of having a beer in the recovery room (of course I probably will think it sounds gross as soon as I’m allowed to have one again).

A couple of things are keeping me sane. First, I have a new high-risk doctor who has been great. He is positive and reassuring, and doesn’t blow off any concerns. He gives full and complete answers to my questions, even if some of them stem from anxiety. Also, I can feel each baby kick each day, so I know they are alive. Lastly, I can’t discount my great support system of family, friends, and online friends, who listen to me and are there on my good and my bad days.

I set small milestones for myself – up next are the next growth ultrasound, then hitting 27 weeks and being farther along than ever before, and then 30 weeks and stopping work. I’ve been trying not to think too much beyond that point. I started out this journey with a “one day at a time” mentality and some days I still need that as my mantra. However, I will soon need to start making some serious progress on setting up a nursery and doing the million other things we need to do to prepare. That’s what bedrest is for, right?

Overall, I really can’t complain (but sometimes I do anyway). If you guys have any questions, ask them in the comments and I’ll answer there.

1. Aly @ Breathe Gently
    August 26, 2012 10:57 pm

15lbs? You’re doing AMAZEBALLS. I may have just gained 15lbs while typing this sentence and I’m just 6 weeks along.

Seriously though, I’m so excited for you guys!

• Janet
      August 27, 2012 10:10 am

Oh, Aly – you crack me up. Wait til the nausea sets in, then you’ll wish you could eat enough to gain 15lbs! :)

2. Abbie
    August 26, 2012 11:00 pm

LOL @Aly :)

Jan you are a constant source of inspiration and hope. I love you!

3. liz
    August 27, 2012 10:23 am

I am still just so stinkin’ happy for you!! I can’t get over it!

Don’t feel guilty about blogging about this happy time in your life. You know all too well how shitty life can be, and so you also need to indulge in the happy times. You deserve it.

And yay for extended maternity leave! I know you were planning to with Miller, but I think you’re definitely going to be glad you did with two little ones.

I have all kinds of burning questions! Feel free to not answer any of them though.
    1. How close are you on the names? And how will you decide which baby will be named what?
    2. Are you registered? And where?
    3. Do you have a plan for the nursery? Ideas/inspiration? Is all of this on Pinterest and I’m just oblivious?
    4. Do you have a need for some newborn sized diapers? I have a bunch leftover from a diaper cake and D was already in size 1’s when he was born so… if you want them, I’ll ship them to you! They’re the good Pampers kind with the blue line indicator to tell you when they’re dirty.

• Janet
      August 27, 2012 10:30 am

Awww, thanks Liz :)

1. I think we might have our top 2 names settled (!!) but we are totally undecided on which name goes for which baby. How are you supposed to decide this?! I think we’ll decide after they’re born. Like if one has reddish hair, I can imagine giving him one of the two names. But really…I have no clue how to go about doing this. Coin flip?

2. I am registered at Amazon (but you seriously do not need to buy me anything!)

3. I have a Pinterest board for the nursery, though some of it is a bit outdated from last year. I think I’m going for a lot of neutrals (gray walls, wood) plus some soft aquas/yellows. I will do a full post on this – thanks for the idea! http://pinterest.com/loveisblonde/baby-b/

4. Heck yes! I own, let’s see….ZERO diapers. Haha. I seriously only own about 10 baby items total. I need to work on this! Thanks so much for the offer!

4. Angela Noelle
    August 27, 2012 10:38 am

Oh my gosh… 15 pounds… I think I gained that in my first trimester! And now I want a bagel, haha ;) We’ve also been slacking on setting up the nursery. We have one crib put together and the walls painted a grey that I hate–when do the elves show up to finish all of this work for us!

• Janet
      August 27, 2012 11:33 am

It’s so bad that I had TWO bagels yesterday. And another this morning. Someone needs to stop me… (and you started out a lot skinnier than me so don’t feel too bad about the weight gain!)

I’m sorry you don’t love your gray walls! Will you repaint or just live with it? I have some ideas if you decide to repaint.

5. Nic
    August 27, 2012 10:50 am

Oh, I’m so excited for you. It’s so great that you have a good, reassuring doctor. He’s probably worth his weight in gold. And I’m really glad the babies like bagels and pizza, delicious. They probably love Zeppoli as well. At least, they should. Come on, boys! Time to grow bigger and fatter and kick the hell out of Mama for her sanity.

And I can’t wait to see how big you get. I mean, I know it won’t necessarily be comfortable for you, but it’s kind of astounding that you will have two full-sized babies just lounging about in there.

• Janet
      August 27, 2012 11:35 am

Oh, yes, Zeppoli! Babies love donuts of all kinds, especially those fancy ones. (Did I tell you that I went back to that restaurant recently one night on a whim just to order dessert? Yes I did, and it was amazing.)

August 27, 2012 1:54 pm

I never quite realized how MUCH ONE CAN EAT while growing twins. Like, it became my job. It just still seems to funnel all directly to them. : )

And an Amazon registry, eh? Off to peruse it. : )

• Janet
      August 27, 2012 2:12 pm

It’s going to be a sad day when I have to go back to counting calories. Hopefully I’ll be able to nurse and I can keep the binge eating going!

August 27, 2012 2:04 pm

I have been subtly hunting for your registry for several weeks. I’m not a stalker, I swear. I didn’t think to look on Amazon, so thank you for that! :)

August 27, 2012 2:08 pm

i agree that posting about your pregnancy and being excited, happy, etc is something none of your regular readers are going to be upset about – even if they struggle with infertility, etc. My mantra these days when i read about another friend/family member/blogger getting pregnant is “her ability to get pregnant does not affect mine”. and i’m just so damn happy for you guys and pretty much everyone i know that is currently pregnant, it completely overshadows any green-eyed monster feelings.
    you’re the third person i’ve read about having bagel cravings during pregnancy. i wonder what it is about bagels? i haven’t eaten one in years! the craving for beer…hm. my boss was actually directed by her doctor to drink a Guinness every day of her pregnancy because it was high in calories and about the only thing she could keep down. Her baby turned out wonderfully healthy and incredibly smart…so maybe you should follow your craving! :)
    your baby pinterest board is super classy. and i’m also kind of obsessed with whales for babies. not sure why.
    and finally, i’m glad your doctor is good at putting your mind at ease!

• Janet
      August 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks, Jen! I remember having a lot of those little mantras to stay sane myself (along the lines of “her ability to get pregnant does not affect mine”). But still, I know it can sting a little bit.

I’ve never been a Guinness drinker but maybe my new beer craving could change that! What I really want are yummy belgian beers and wheat beers. With lemons and oranges in them. Yummmmmm.

August 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Sounds like you are doing great and I saw you have a pinterest in another comment so I totally just followed you. Can’t wait to see your ideas for the nursery!

10. Operation Pink Herring
    August 27, 2012 9:03 pm

There is something magic in bagels that makes them 10000000% more delicious when you’re pregnant. I got into a shameful habit of ordering one every morning with my coffee. My excuse was I had successfully switched to decaf so I DESERVED a treat! Plus, they were the only thing that sounded really good when I felt sick all the time. That’s not the shameful part, though. The shameful part is when I started ordering two bagels, pretending one was for my coworker. BOTH FOR ME. Oh, god. They were so good. I regret nothing.

• Janet
      August 27, 2012 9:50 pm

I loved you before but I EXTRA love you for getting two bagels for yourself. It will seriously be a sad day when I can no longer eat a bagel guilt-free.

11. Marianne
    August 27, 2012 10:06 pm

I just wanted to tell you that I think you’re amazing and that you are so in my prayers. I have no doubt that your writing about your journey has helped other women. And it shows what an beautiful heart you have!

• Janet
      August 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Aww, thank you Marianne! You’ve been a great friend to me for years now. I appreciate your prayers, encouragement, and kindness.

August 28, 2012 11:47 am

Pizza was the one food with both pregnancies that always sounded good no matter how yucky I felt. Enjoy the bagels now before your stomach gets too squished to enjoy them!

August 28, 2012 8:57 pm

I relate so much to that first paragraph. I’ve struggled with the same thing on my blog, for both reasons, but I also find it very therapeutic to write about it. Fortunately, everyone has been really supportive of my writing about it there, and I think you’ll get the same love here.

Also, beer. BEER! The two things I’m craving most are beer and raw cookie dough, and I can’t have either. I already told my husband to be prepared to bring those things into the hospital.

14. Alissa
    August 29, 2012 12:58 am

I’m just so happy things are going well and you are not only to viability, but going to take leave early to really prepare. What a blessing. I am just over the moon for you.

15. Candace
    August 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Janet, I am beyond beyond beyond excited for you!! I love these updates and I think you should update more often about your pregnancy. I didn’t do it enough with Kiera and I kick myself a LOT for that.. hugs and love xoxo

16. Elaine
    August 30, 2012 6:09 pm

I can’t wait to hear your names. We can think of no boy names. Why are they so much harder then sweet baby girl names???

I think about you often! I’m so happy for you and your family!!

17. Janelle
    September 1, 2012 12:56 pm

Okay, so somehow I didn’t read your blog for a month (for shame) and I come to see how you’re doing and bam! your’re pregnant! And bam! it’s twins!

Congratulations! I am thrilled for you!

I’ve got twin boys myself (they’ll be two in October), so I can tell you, you are in for a ride. As for names, I worried about which baby would get which name, but somehow that worked itself out. One looked like one name, and the other didn’t, despite them being identical.

If you have any questions to ask a fellow twins-mom and don’t have other experts to turn to, feel free to ask me anything (from nursing, to recovery, to whatever).

I am just so happy for you, despite not actually knowing you, and you probably have no idea who I am.

Also? 15lbs?!? You win at life.

September 5, 2012 6:45 pm

What is it about beer? I like beer, but I’m more of a wine drinker usually. When I was pregnant, though? The only thing in the world I wanted was beer. And also sushi. But mostly beer.

My favorite thing about being pregnant was all the guilt-free eating I did. Honestly, I probably did too much, but who the hell cares? When else do you have the excuse to stuff as much bread and cheese into your mouth as you want? I say, seize the opportunity and enjoy every bite!

19. red pen mama
    September 19, 2012 9:21 am

Isn’t a good doctor the best thing in the world? We consulted with a perinatologist after our first loss, and he was the best doctor in the world. He sat with us, answered our questions, never condescended, respected all our decisions, and didn’t blow off any concerns.

As far as beer: helps with breastmilk! A little won’t hurt you or the babes in the third trimester either, but I know not every mother wants to take any chances, understandably. A nice dark Guiness when you get home will help with let down, though. :)

Continued prayers are with you and your boys!