September 6, 2012 · filed under domestic, home, pregnancy, pretty things

where the children shall sleep through the night

Can you hear the optimism oozing through that post title?

Let’s talk about the babies’ room. About 1.5 years ago, it looked like this:

Guest Bedroom

Since then, I’ve sold the beloved yellow sofa (Le Sad), and the chair and the daybed are either gone or will soon be on their way out. The walls are still a warm gray (this photo isn’t the best representation – try this link: Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter) and the curtains are still white (IKEA).

I’ve also added this rug and this beautiful dresser. You can catch a glimpse of both in my latest belly pic.

And that’s just about where progress has come to a halt! However, last weekend we went to IKEA to purchase two Gulliver cribs.

And we placed an order for the most amazing and comfortable rocker/glider/recliner ever in the history of chairs (see left), in a neutral linen fabric with gray trim/cording (see right). And then I had a panic attack on Twitter about if it would look cute or not. Panic averted, thanks to the internets!

photo.JPG

Because the room is so tiny, that’s about it for big furniture items: two cribs, one dresser, one chair.

Next up, accessories! I want to keep the room full of neutrals (grays, whites) and textures (wood, sheepskin, quilts, linen) with a few pops of colors (mostly aqua blue, sea green, or yellow). I’ve pinned a bunch of ideas over here: http://pinterest.com/loveisblonde/baby-b/

I’d love to know what you all think and if you have any ideas. I hope we can make some progress on the IKEA assembling (and by “we” I mean Andrew) so that I can finally start to pull things together in there.

September 6, 2012 3:10 pm

Ooh, SO CUTE. I am a little bit sad about the couch and the daybed, but everything looks so soft and cozy.

Can there be something or several things that are super sciency? Like a big abacus? Or molecule models? Or those Newtonian swingy-ball desk ornament thingies? You know what I mean.

• Janet
      September 6, 2012 3:14 pm

Thankfully the daybed is staying in the house, just not in that room. I love that thing!

I have two science-y prints for the room. One is here: http://pinterest.com/pin/224617100134595156/ (the other I don’t have a pic of, but it’s from the same artist)

I LOVE the idea of an abacus. Gonna search for one :)

• Nic
        September 6, 2012 6:45 pm

I just gave an abacus as a new baby gift a couple of weeks ago! It’s by Melissa and Doug and it’s in primary colors, but it would be easy enough to paint white…

September 6, 2012 3:24 pm

I happen to know a couple of cozy quilts in your palette are in the works ;)

Are you planning to make the landing a play-room?!

September 6, 2012 3:33 pm

Babies in the room!

And a comfie glider is worth ALLLLLLL the money in the world. We still climb in and use Ezra’s every night, and Iris points at hers and says, “Ni-night!”

September 6, 2012 3:49 pm

Hooray! I can’t wait to see the final product.

September 6, 2012 4:09 pm

I love all the neutrals, the “grown up” furniture like the rug and dresser, and the plans for smaller touches. So soothing and wonderful!

Also, I am sad about your yellow couch, I hope it found a good home!

September 6, 2012 4:30 pm

Looks like it’s going to be great! That chair looks amazing – where did you buy it?

• Janet
      September 7, 2012 10:59 am

I got it at Buy Buy Baby with a 20% coupon – it’s the TRYP chair from the “Best” chair brand/Storytime Series (or something like that?). My sister and SIL both have the chair and swear by it, so I had to get one too. I think they might also be sold at some BRU stores and other independent furniture stores?

7. Angela Noelle
    September 6, 2012 5:04 pm

The sofa is a sad loss, but that delicious dresser must help soothe the pain! I think your color scheme sounds so dreamy.

8. Nic
    September 6, 2012 6:46 pm

I love it all. It will be so perfect for the Babies B.

September 6, 2012 7:15 pm

Is it weird that when I’ve envisioned my future baby’s room it’s been gray and white and yellow? I mean it’s so pretty and cannot wait to see what you do for the boys’ room!

Also, that recliner looks incredibly comfy, yay baby things!

September 6, 2012 9:10 pm

I love the suggestion of an abacus! All the nice neutrals are very soothing. I can’t wait to see it all together. What about a mobile?

I saw a baby room somewhere online that had one of those old-school periodic table of elements on a wall. It was awesome.

11. Birdie
    September 6, 2012 10:55 pm

I think you should keep your initials. And add 2 more :) line them up vertically or something. Abe wants to know if he’ll be cribbing or packin’ next week??
    Science is a great idea…I may have a contribution:)

12. wishcake
    September 6, 2012 10:59 pm

Oooooh, I just can’t wait to see how it all turns out. It will be just perfect, I’m sure! (You have the best taste in decor. Can I move in? No? Okay, fine.) :)

13. Aly @ Breathe Gently
    September 7, 2012 2:08 am

I want to sit in that recliner and never get up. also, I LOVE the gulliver IKEA nursery stuff. :)

September 7, 2012 10:54 am

It’s going to be AWESOME. (My crib is sitting in the hall just waiting to be loved by someone. I wish you lived closer and I wish I had two and they’d totally be yours!)

And here’s to the babies sleeping through the night!

September 7, 2012 10:38 pm

Love everything. Love all the stuff you’ve pinned too!! I love that crib from Ikea, too. I have decided (quite randomly) that I want a gray crib now though and I wish it came in gray!

16. Emily
    September 9, 2012 12:11 pm

I’ve been thinking of making the trek down to LA and getting a Gulliver crib. I think having a crib would make me feel more prepared. I have been at a loss on gliders. What a fun rug, Janet.

You have a great start! I can’t wait to see your after pictures.

17. RM
    September 10, 2012 9:43 am

Hi, I am currently 18 weeks and read how you planned to take 6-12 months “extended leave”. I am SO jealous. I only get 3 months protected leave, and am gearing myself up to request an extended leave up to 6 months, but don’t know how to do it. can you share anything on how you started the conversation? negotiation? Any tips would be SUPER helpful. Much luck!, Ruthie

September 10, 2012 5:34 pm

That dresser is beautiful! Love it!

19. Liz @ Hobby Lobbyist
    September 10, 2012 11:16 pm

I can’t wait to see the room all put together and filled with babies! Well not filled, but you know what I mean.

20. Kristin
    September 11, 2012 11:29 am

Adorable. I love your style!

21. Alissa
    September 12, 2012 10:16 pm

Beautiful, original and perfect. I think you are on a great track.