October 4, 2012 · filed under pregnancy

couch rest

My nightstand

I am now officially-slash-unofficially on bedrest-slash-couchrest for the remainder of this pregnancy. What that means is I’m technically done working (and on disability/maternity leave), but still have maybe 10-20 hours of work to wrap up at home, and though I’m not exactly medically confined to my bed, I am supposed to be laying down with my feet up as much as possible. (Otherwise: Cankles. Oh my, the cankles.)

Of course, I didn’t take this seriously at all over the weekend when we built two cribs, installed blinds, built a dresser, assembled our new FLOR rug, and moved furniture. Or the weekend before when we bought a new car! But damn if I don’t love my new car, new rug, or the sight of two cribs in the little bedroom.

FLOR Parallel Reality

My doctor has me aiming for a day-after-Thanksgiving delivery date (unless he changes his mind or anything at all changes with my health or the babies’ health), which leaves me up to seven weeks to get everything done on my To Do list, all while laying down as much as possible.

The big things on the list are:

• Get prepared for breastfeeding (see top photo), as much as one can prepare for such a thing in advance.
  • Finish up the nursery and organizing all the things it contains (still quite a ways to go).
  • Organize and update my personal life – set up my new laptop, backup all my files, finally get my wedding video on DVD, get all our financial/”being an adult” stuff in order, etc. You know, the things that I will likely NEVER do once the children arrive.
  • I’m considering doing all my Christmas shopping now. Is that crazy?
  • Have lunches and day dates with my friends while I still have my freedom!
  • I would say SLEEP, but hahahahahahahaahhaaaaaa. Nope, this will remain a happy memory/dream from trimesters past.

I’m truly trying to enjoy these final weeks. I don’t want to complain too much, or let the anxiety creep in too far. I know it could all end tomorrow. Or it could drag on for 50+ days of achy, ouchy, restless boredom. Hopefully I can get enough done and also relax enough that I’ll look back on these final weeks with good and happy feelings.

1. Sian
    October 4, 2012 11:14 pm

That’s a big, old yes from me on doing the Christmas shopping now, there’s no way you’ll get it done later…well you would but it would be super stressful! Enjoy your maternity leave and just take things one at a time, it’ll all get done even if it happens slowly! ;)

October 4, 2012 11:19 pm

That car is CUTE!

After-Thanksgiving babies for everyone! :)

3. Janelle
    October 4, 2012 11:20 pm

I love that rug! So bright and cheery!

If I can throw in my 2 cents on breastfeeding, I would just like to put in a plug for feeding them at the same time. Take a couple days of feeding them separately until they (and you!) figure the whole thing out, then get a good twin nursing pillow (doubleblessings.com has a great one) and double them up. It is such a time saver!

Also, now is a great time to read every book you’ve ever wanted to but haven’t gotten around to. Hopefully you have a good friend to keep you stocked up. :)

4. Liz @ Hobby Lobbyist
    October 4, 2012 11:33 pm

That floor is fabulous! It’s so practical too. I agree with Sian– get the shopping done now. There’s no reason to put that stress on yourself after giving birth. You’ll have enough other things to stress about.

5. Morgan
    October 4, 2012 11:56 pm

Day after Thanksgiving? That’s my birthday! Best.day.ever.

I love all of your new pretty things and I can’t wait to see your new, sweet little boys1

6. Morgan
    October 4, 2012 11:57 pm

Day after Thanksgiving? That’s my birthday! Best.day.ever.

I love all of your new pretty things and I can’t wait to see your new, sweet little boys!

7. Larissa
    October 5, 2012 1:50 am

Um, Christmas shopping?! Ultra big “wow!” to you if you get that done. If not, that means you are a normal human being :) Get rest and enjoy sleep, lady!

8. Mary Frances
    October 5, 2012 8:24 am

I’m thinking of Christmas shopping now, and I’m NOT pregnant :) Also, I highly second your decision to do all of your “being an adult” business now/when you feel up to it – I was behind on my “being adult” business when we came home from the hospital, and 17 months later, I’m still not through all of it (embarrassing…). Also, holy hell, I had cankles to rival the best of them. I was basically a hobbit. The good news is that they DO go away :)

9. Kandi
    October 5, 2012 9:17 am

The nusery is beautiful!
    I’m so excited for you guys. I have a friend pregnant with twin boys right now too and I think she is having them in December.
    I say yes to Christmas shopping now. Best to just get that out of the way while you are on rest.

October 5, 2012 10:18 am

I would give the Christmas shopping a thumbs up. Or anything you could get done and out of the way via the couch/internet.

Lounging ahoy!

11. liz
    October 5, 2012 10:20 am

Yes, definitely do your Xmas shopping now. Those first 6 weeks with one baby is hard enough, let alone two. Once they’re here, you’ll not only be consumed with taking care of them, but “fun” things like photos/birth announcements take up an extraordinary amount of time too. And baby books, and birth stories, and just so many baby-related things. So if there are any birthdays, weddings, etc. between now and oh, March, that you need to send something for, do it now. I had D May 30 and thought that would give me plenty of time to prepare for my bestie’s bridal shower/bachelorette party on Labor Day and I was going to do all these crafty things for her while I was on maternity leave. Yeah, that never happened. I got her a set of sheets and let one of the other bridesmaids plan the bachelorette party. Total friend fail.

Can’t wait to see more pics of the nursery! Love those FLOR tiles! And hooray for a new car! We need to get one. What kind of car is it? What sold you guys on getting that one? I’d love some car shopping tips!

October 5, 2012 10:38 am

The nursery rug is so beautiful. Well done.

Yes, get your Christmas shopping done. Or at least a list of things you want to buy. Another thought….design your Christmas cards/Birth announcements so that all you’ll need to do is put the picture in (once you have a picture) and send to the printer. (I learned that from Frema.)

Enjoy these last few weeks! (I’m so excited.)

October 5, 2012 10:44 am

I love those FLOR tiles. Did you do the entire room in them? I might have to investigate that option. Also – love your new car! We got the same color (though I think a different car? ours is a Honda CRV) back in April and I love it.
    Yes to Christmas shopping now. I’m Christmas shopping now and I’m not going to have twins in between now and then. I just hate doing any sort of shopping between Halloween and New Years. Unless it’s online, of course. :)
    Hang in there – I’m so excited for you!

October 5, 2012 11:15 am

If you can get your Christmas shopping done now, more power to you. However, I would keep that at the bottom of the priority list. If it were me, I’d focus on the other items on the to-do list and then do Christmas shopping online after the babies are here.

So excited to meet your darling little boys!

15. Lele
    October 5, 2012 11:40 am

Yay!! I am so excited for your boys to get here!! Maybe if you are on bed rest we can g-chat more often ;)

16. Angela Noelle
    October 5, 2012 12:19 pm

I think Christmas presents this year are going to consist of a LOT of gift cards ;)

17. Melissa
    October 5, 2012 1:01 pm

Nothing wrong with getting Christmas shopping done now. I had a June baby and didn’t do anything for quite awhile. If I were having a baby (or 2 in your case) close to the holidays, I’d want to get stuff done before the birth if I could.

Breastfeeding is hard at first, but reading books and kind of knowing what to expect is great! :)

18. Laural
    October 5, 2012 2:11 pm

I’m sooo happy for your and I’ve been reading all your posts.
    Okay – so the getting ready for breastfeeding thing. I just have to share this because it made me giggle. My friend was on bedrest and did reading on breastfeeding. Somewhere she read to “roughen up” her nipples. This ended up being her quest, and she got sandpaper involved (OMG!). Actually, her husband took it away and talked her off the sandpaper ledge. I still think it’s hilarious. (and she did fine breastfeeding without ever doing that).
    I’d totally Christmas shop if I were you. And watch dumb tv and just enjoy chilling as much as you can.
    Congrats (and I love the rug)

19. Andrea P.
    October 5, 2012 3:25 pm

Oh my I love the rug!! Where did you get it?

October 5, 2012 4:10 pm

I agree with everyone that you if you can do your Christmas shopping now that would be nice. But I also think this year you should get a pass from buying anyone presents, because you’ll have your mind on a whole other planet by then!

On the breastfeeding. Just remember to keep an open mind because that is one of the many (many) things that fall almost completely outside your control about having children.

21. Alana
    October 5, 2012 10:27 pm

Hooray, home stretch!! Just took a look through your Flickr feed, and you look GREAT for 30 weeks! I am currently 16 wks along with two babies, and seeing your photos gives me hope that I might not be as scarily ginormous as I am envisioning in my head.

I have to ask – what car did you buy??? We might have to upgrade our teeny little car now with the double stroller/two car seat situation heading our way, and your new wheels look lovely!

22. Elaine
    October 6, 2012 6:18 pm

I am also considering Christmas shopping now… or doing A LOT of online shopping!

23. Olivia
    October 7, 2012 8:05 am

Love the carpet, and I say yes to xmas shopping now on line. If you can, go ahead and wrap them. You can do that from the couch.

24. Operation Pink Herring
    October 7, 2012 9:45 pm

Yes! Do the Christmas shopping now! And let me know if you’re in need of a day date pal. Hannah is officially down to one nap (RIP morning nap) so we are free pretty much allllllllll day. Did the days recently get about 17 hours longer or is it just me?

25. Princess Extraordinaire
    October 8, 2012 5:22 pm

LOVE your new car!!!!! Beyond cute! So sorry you’re on bed rest but with your twins I am certain it is a very neccessary thing. I see you’ve loads of reading which is alwasy helpful…hang in there xo

October 9, 2012 6:29 pm

New car! New rug! So awesome!

27. Sarah
    October 9, 2012 8:34 pm

The day after Thanksgiving is my birthday. I always loved having a birthday at Thanksgiving because there was plenty of family to celebrate with. I can’t wait to meet your boys. Boys are the best.

I did all of my Christmas shopping online while I was home on maternity leave and it was wonderful. I also told everyone not to expect too much since the baby was their big present. No one seemed to mind.

Enjoy your time at home!

28. Alissa
    October 12, 2012 9:19 pm

That room is going to be to die for. I can tell. That rug and brick wall are awesome. I am glad you are starting to take it easy. You will need that rest and prep time. Glad to hear things are going relatively well and you are couching-it-up.

October 15, 2012 10:13 am

Love the FLOR rug! It looks great!

And I think being confined to bed/couch is the perfect time to get Christmas shopping done. Online shopping FTW!

30. red pen mama
    October 25, 2012 1:56 pm

I vote for Christmas shopping via web, starting now. As you get closer, you can just make lists for odds and ends to give to your husband.

I cannot imagine BF’ing twins. I hope you have someone you can talk to about that. I would be peppering that person with questions. I know it can be done (and I’m a total BF’ing advocate), but man. I can’t picture the logistics. Good luck!

I was on what I called modified bed rest in my third trimesters with my girls. I knitted, slept, and read. It was way before Twitter. :)