October 18, 2012 · filed under pregnancy, twins

33 weeks!

Whoa, kiddos. I’ve made it to 33 weeks, I’ve been on couch rest for three weeks already, and I’ll have these babies one way or another in less than 33 days. How about I give you an update in threes?

3 Biggest Complaints

– My hips are KILLING me. The worst part about this is that sleeping/laying down makes the pain worse. And yet, I need to be laying down most of the time. Oy.

– I have all this new skin (thanks, stretch marks) that’s really raw and sensitive.

– Cankles and swelling all over. Related: I seem to have developed carpal tunnel in my hands and wake up feeling like I have rigor mortis in my fingers.

3 Things About Baby A

– He weighs a bit more than 4 pounds.

– He is breech and doesn’t seem interested in flipping around anytime soon.

– He is the only baby who will show his face for the ultrasound ladies. It’s a darn cute face!

3 Things about Baby B

– He weighs right around 4 pounds, but is about 10% smaller than his brother.

– He makes up for his smallness by being a karate-parkour-gymnastics-yoga baby, oh my.

– He is laying┬ácompletely┬átransverse across my belly and gets the hiccups a lot.

3 Things I Can’t Live Without

– Watching the Ellen Show every day

– My Tervis mug, full of ice and water

– Twitter, texting, and gchatting, because couch rest is actually kind of isolating if I don’t get out each day.

3 Things I Do Every Day

– Dishes. OMG, who knew that staying home all day resulted in SO MANY DIRTY DISHES?!?!

– Chauffeur my husband to or from work, and sometimes both. The new car makes this kind of fun!

– Put my feet up and watch the babies go crazypants : )

3 Things I Worry About

– How I’m supposed to be pregnant for another entire month. I know this is a good and hopeful thing, but I’m also so large and uncomfy that I feel like someone’s playing a mean joke on me.

– How we are supposed to go from just us, which we’ve been for almost ten years now (!), to suddenly, overnight, being in charge of two tiny human beings. Too much free time leaves lots of room for existential crises!

– Breastfeeding two babies.

3 Middle Names that Have Been Rejected

– Fox

– Wolfgang

– my maiden name

3 Things I Really Wanna Do Before Babies Arrive

– Get my wedding video edited and onto a DVD

– See as many friends as I can, as often as I can

– Have my DC-BFF take a couple of nice maternity photos of me (which we plan to do this weekend!)

3 Things I Can’t Wait For

– Drinking a big, fat margarita

– Rolling over in bed without yelping in pain

– Snuggling with TWO TINY BABIES

1. Abbie
    October 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Just love and lots of SSSQQQQQEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! over here for ya <3

October 18, 2012 11:00 pm

Ten years! Holy cow.

And, dude, how excited is the whole Internet to see your new tiny baby boys? (I, for one, am super excited).

• heidikins
      October 19, 2012 1:54 pm

Janssen basically wrote (stole!) the comment I was going to leave, I’m gonna leave it anyway:

Ten years! Yay and congrats!

More than almost anyone else on the Internet, I am so ridiculously excited to meet your little men! Gah, So Awesome And Exciting!

3. Candace
    October 18, 2012 11:18 pm

Janet, I am SO SO SO SO excited for you!!!!!! I cannot believe you’re so close already. I also cannot live without my tervis mug. The BIG one. Full of ice water, 24/7. You are going to be such an amazing mama to these boys. I can’t wait to “meet” them (but CAN, so stay put a little longer, boys!). They sound like they’re growing soooo fantastically :)

4. Carrisa
    October 19, 2012 12:07 am

So much awesome. Sorry about the cankles. But two baby necks!!!

5. Aly @ Breathe Gently
    October 19, 2012 2:28 am

What on EARTH is a Tervis mug? I am such a backwards Aussie sometimes. ;)

You’re doing so beautifully. I can’t believe you’ve never seen Baby B’s face!!!

6. jeesica
    October 19, 2012 7:49 am

OMG the hip pain. I thought i was the only preg lady that had that. Worst thing ever and i bet yours is times two! I have no helpful tips only sympathy.
    Has Peas been tossed around as a middle yet? I feel the name is a fantastic one :)

7. nicole
    October 19, 2012 8:30 am

yay!!!! you are so close and i can not wait for those little guys to get here. hang in there momma- they will be here before you know it!

October 19, 2012 9:37 am

THIRTY-THREE WEEKS! This is amazing! And hips. Hip pain is just horrible.

If you ever feel like passing the time with some chatting, I on the Google Chat. :)

9. Erin
    October 19, 2012 9:49 am

Don’t worry about how you’ll go from a couple of two to a family of four… once those babies arrive, you’re not even going to remember how your life even existed before them!

October 19, 2012 10:21 am

33 weeks, yay!!! You are almost there, lady!

And, yeah, I am always on Gchat, too. :)

11. Nic
    October 19, 2012 2:13 pm

33 weeks! That’s a whole lot of baby you’ve got going on in there! So, so excited for you to meet your sweet boys.

October 19, 2012 4:22 pm

I currently have a baby foot jabbing into my rib, and it makes me wonder… How in the world would two of them fit in there? Glad you’re resting and doing well, and I can’t wait to “meet” the babies.

13. Larissa
    October 19, 2012 5:31 pm

Go, Janet! You’re in the homestretch!!!

My last few months of pregnancy were so uncomfortable, so I can’t imagine how it feels with two little ones in there.

Can’t wait to meet them :)

October 19, 2012 6:02 pm

Yay for 33 weeks! Can’t wait til those boys are here!

15. Elaine
    October 20, 2012 7:53 pm

I can’t wait to hear your names. And then maybe I’ll steal one!! I also can’t wait for a margarita. Or a beer. Or a glass of wine. Or all three! Thinking of you!

16. Lele
    October 20, 2012 11:38 pm

<3<3 Snuggling with two tiny babies!!! <3<3

17. Zan
    October 21, 2012 11:24 am

Heck, yeah! I love it. The nursery looks like it’s coming along well (via the pics I saw on Flickr this morning), and I know you’ll get to some of those tasks before Baby Boom 2012 arrives. :)

18. Alissa
    October 21, 2012 5:34 pm

I’m sorry you are resigned to living on the couch. I know that must be so hard when you want to be up and doing all you can before these babies.
    I am however so glad you are at the stage that you are. 33 weeks is fantastic!
    Keep chugging along and you will have two precious boys in your arms soon.

19. Birdie
    October 22, 2012 9:57 am

Yay for Ellen! Love you lots!

October 22, 2012 12:59 pm

Oooh, I had the pregnancy carpal tunnel, and it sucked big time. Unfortunately, it doesn’t go away right away after you give birth, either. It’ll stick around until all your swelling goes down. Makes writing thank-yous for baby gifts pretty awful.

Sorry, I know that’s not very encouraging. Just wanted to comisserate a bit. I found it sometimes helped to sleep with a wrist brace to keep the swelling in check overnight. Mornings were easier that way.

So excited to meet your beautiful baby boys!!!

21. Angela Noelle
    October 22, 2012 2:30 pm

Oh man, I cannot wait for the wiiiiiine!!! I’ll never take it for granted again :) And my worries are so similar to yours. And yet, while I worry and stress, I also know that we can and will do it and that it is going to be the most amazing, rewarding experience of our life, despite the difficulty!!!

October 23, 2012 11:32 am

I’m 33 weeks and 2 days today and I feel your pain! (or at least half of it, since I’ve only got the one little girl in there!) The hip pain though, Oy! That sucks!! And I am so dying for some wine! I never really cared about it one way or the other until I got pregnant and now, especially white, wine smells sooo gooooood!! I love reading your updates since we’re so close together (time-wise, but also I’m in NC so not really that far apart country-wise!)! Can’t wait to see pictures of your adorable little boys!!! :)

October 23, 2012 11:50 am

I was hanging out with my cousins twins yesterday and I thought of you. I’m so excited for you, lady!

24. red pen mama
    October 25, 2012 1:42 pm

(getting caught up, so excuse me if this has been mentioned) Have you tried any kind of leg or body pillow between your knees to help with hip pain? To this day (4 babies later, back to my normal weight, regular chiropractic treatment) I still can’t lay down or sleep without a pillow between my legs. My hips just don’t like it.

Otherwise: So excited for you!

25. Katie FOX
    October 25, 2012 5:23 pm

OMG you nixed FOX as a middle name…what were thinking?!? :) So glad you’ve made it this far…hang in there. Thinking of you lots.

26. Renel
    October 30, 2012 12:41 am

Oh my Janet! I had no idea you were even pregnant. I used to come to your blog but for a long time you weren’t writing anything so I stopped coming. And now your pregnant with twins! So I wanted to say how happy I am to hear the news and am hoping everything works out well! Sending a giant hug to you.

27. Carly
    November 2, 2012 9:29 am

Yay for 33 weeks! Well, now it’s a bit more then that since I’m behind, but still.

Omg, the hip pain. My hips still aren’t the same, but they are better then they were. I still can’t sit or stand or do anything for a long time without them hurting, but I remember there was a point when I couldn’t do anything at all without them hurting. I agree with the previous comment about a nice thick pillow between your knees. Also, I found that sitting with my feet soles together and my knees out would feel good, or straddling a chair.

Love love love your last line – “- Snuggling with TWO TINY BABIES”