November 13, 2012 · filed under twins

the babies are here and home

My heart is bursting with happiness over these little boys. Welcome to the world, Holden & Teddy!

Holden & Teddy

Holden Gray B_________

and

Edward West B_________

Born 11/7/12, at 11:32 / 11:41 AM, and 5 lbs 2 oz / 5 lbs 1 oz

They were born at 35 weeks and 6 days, a little earlier than planned because I developed pre-eclampsia pretty suddenly (and without any symptoms!). Thankfully, they held out until 12 hours after Obama was declared re-elected.

At birth, they were having a little bit of trouble with their breathing, so they were admitted to the NICU, where they stayed for six days until they came home with us today. We are so grateful for the care they got at the NICU, and having them there helped me recover from the C-section more quickly. Plus, the babies are already on a schedule! But we’re also so happy to be at home with them instead of only seeing them at the hospital and hooked up to all kinds of monitors.

The boys are not identical but they sure look like brothers. Holden looks so much like Andrew. He loves to chow down on his meals and is generally super mellow. He has a decent amount of blond hair, and gray-blue eyes.

Teddy is a bit smaller, and a bit feistier than his brother. I think he looks a lot like Miller. He has the most amazing grumpy old man face and he is prone to getting the hiccups. He also has blond hair (but less of it) and dark blue eyes.

There is so much more to say — I should have been writing it down all week before all these thoughts and emotions morph and change with time and I can’t capture them anymore. Even though I am sleep-deprived, and stil in some pain, my heart feels so full. I can’t believe these babies are OURS, and that all of this is happening to US, and that we have gotten so┬áridiculously┬álucky.

I feel humbled that these boys are so wished for and so loved by so many. Thank you from the bottom of my 1,000-sizes-bigger heart.

1. Heidi
    November 15, 2012 12:44 pm

congrats!!!! Such adorable babies – so very excited and happy for you both!! :) <3

2. Lauren
    November 15, 2012 1:17 pm

Congratulations! Welcome to the world Holden & Teddy!!

3. Amy
    November 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Congratulations!! So happy they’re home, safe and healthy!!! Best news I’ve had all day. Hope you continue to recover and I wish your little family all the best.

November 16, 2012 9:28 am

I don’t even know them, but I love them already! Yours is such an amazing story, and I’m so happy these babies get to be in the world. Hi Holden and Teddy – welcome!

5. Robin
    November 16, 2012 12:22 pm

Janet, I am *so* happy for you. Welcome to the world, Holden and Teddy!

6. Operation Pink Herring
    November 16, 2012 11:06 pm

I really could not be happier for you and these handsome, adorable, perfect little guys. What a fabulous pair of babies. Super super duper congrats to you guys!

7. Carley
    November 17, 2012 8:29 am

Congratulations! Enjoy your babies! They are simply perfect!

8. Tonya
    November 18, 2012 9:55 am

Congrats to you and Andrew! They are so handsome!

9. Vicky
    November 19, 2012 7:27 am

how did I miss this? Congratulations, they are just so perfect! You did it! Your got your rainbows and I know Miller is their guardian angel. I am just so happy for you and your beautiful family.

November 19, 2012 12:44 pm

Congratulations – they are both so beautiful and so perfect and I could not be happier for you all!

11. Michelle M
    November 19, 2012 10:57 pm

Congratulations! Your babies are so handsome! Welcome to the world Holden and Teddy! So happy to hear about the additions to your family. :)