November 19, 2012 · filed under family, twins

before I forget

Already the days are kind of passing in a blur. I want to write these things down before I forget them.

2 babies 1 boppy

(Holden on the left; Teddy on the right)

The babies are nearly two weeks old now, and have spent almost a week home with us. At night they sleep in a Pack n Play in our room, and by day they are either being held, or hanging out in a boppy. Sometimes even sharing a boppy! They sleep most of the time, but are opening their eyes a little more each day. Last night they were even awake at the same time!

Both eyes open at the same time

The last few nights Holden has decided that he doesn’t like to sleep between midnight and 2am. We are hoping that he changes his mind about that tonight.

Andrew is a great dad. He’s changed far more diapers than I have, and he’s mastered the swaddle. He has also mastered the couch nap with a baby on his chest. It’s basically the best perk to having a baby ever. Here we are demonstrating it:

Andrew's couch nap  Janet's couch nap

My mom deserves sainthood after this week. When I found out last Wednesday morning that I’d be having the babies within 2 hours (that was quite a morning wakeup!), my mom got on the next plane out of Denver. Since getting here she has been alternating all the night feedings with Andrew so each of them gets to sleep every other night. (Guess who doesn’t get to sleep? The one with lactating boobs!) She has also taken a bunch of photos of the babies and we will post them here soon.

Friends have been so generous — we’ve had meals delivered every other night and that will continue for the next few weeks, thanks to organizing done by my SIL. It seems like every day the mailman has more packages for us, filled with gifts to welcome the boys. I’m slowly working on my stack of thank you notes.

My hours are pretty consumed with breastfeeding. If I’m not actually feeding children, I’m pumping, or I’m cleaning bottles and pump parts, or I’m talking about breastfeeding and trying to figure out how to make it work. The boys were bottle fed in the NICU, so they are used to having full bellies without too much effort. I’m now making enough milk that their bellies are full of MY milk, but next we need to transition off the bottle. I’m pretty sure this is where the term “baby steps” originated, because although we are making progress, I feel pretty far away from our ultimate goal (feeding both babies at the breast most of the time and only pumping on occasion). So until then we are just practicing a lot and pumping a lot.

I’m only about 10 or 12 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight, which is kind of crazy (good). However, I’d still rate my skin and shape as crazy (bad). And my boobs are crazy (huge). And I clearly have lost any kind of TMI filter.

My C-section was supposed to be tomorrow (Tuesday the 20th). Although it may have been better for the boys to have been born tomorrow, I am selfishly so glad they came when they did. I can’t imagine being pregnant for much longer than I was, and I’ve loved these last two weeks with them on the outside.

And just like that, it’s time for the boys to eat again…

1. Alana
    November 19, 2012 10:57 pm

So happy to read this update! Currently twenty-two weeks with my little ones, and I spend most of my time wondering what on earth it is going to be like when they arrive. You guys seem to be doing really well!!! I especially love that shot of you on the couch with your little guys. Too cute :) Congrats!!!!

2. Birdie
    November 19, 2012 11:19 pm

I was thinking about the weight, isn’t it amazing?
    Though no shirts will harness those gloves!

3. Birdie
    November 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Globes. clearly, not gloves.

November 20, 2012 12:11 am

Glad to hear things are going well!! Keep trying with the breastfeeding. I gave up too easily after my baby was in the NICU for four days. Still pumping and then bottle feeding but it’s so much work, I couldn’t imagine doing it for two. Stick with it! You’re doing great!

November 20, 2012 1:24 am

Awwww, what sweet stories and memories and photos!! I love the raised eyebrows, the wrinkly forehead is so cute!!

Sigh. Swoon. *wipes tear.

6. Kandi
    November 20, 2012 8:40 am

Such sweet little guys. Thanks for sharing. I don’t think I’ll ever grow tired of the twin pictures!

7. Vicky
    November 20, 2012 8:47 am

ahhh they are just gorgeous. Need more pics though :D

8. Julie
    November 20, 2012 9:14 am

Wow. I have a 4 week old and breastfeeding and/or pumping has been all consuming! But totally worth it. And getting easier, but so hard. Keeping two bellies full is awesome-good luck and keep with it! There is nothing better than your baby sleeping on your chest! :)

November 20, 2012 9:31 am

I love the photo where they are both awake. Can’t you just imagine them scheming when they are older? ha.

How long do you get for maternity leave? I hope you gets lots of time with your boys. It must be wholly exhausting but awesome.

10. Emily
    November 20, 2012 2:15 pm

I have really enjoyed reading your story about the boys. They are so sweet and so lucky o jar a mom that is working so hard on the b-feeding! You are amazing! I love the pics of them snuggled up together:)

November 20, 2012 4:49 pm

While perhaps not encouraging in nature, can I just say HOW MUCH PUMPING BLOWS. I hated it.

I continue to be in awe of you and Andrew. You guys are amazing.

November 20, 2012 5:25 pm

I mean they are just the cutest! Love the sleeping parents, sleeping baby pictures, adorable.

13. Hotpotatokate
    November 20, 2012 5:55 pm

You two, no you FOUR, really look like you’re doing amazingly well. None of the ridiculous cluelessness that accompanied my early days with my little one :) I think in a way having twins might have some of the same “benefits” as having a higher needs little one, in that both parents automatically become a great, hands on team. The boys are gorgeous, congrats on the pumping, and I’m sure you will get them on the boob more soon :)

PS- I think I avoided diapers for about the first 2 weeks. I figured if I was doing boobs, he could figure that out.

14. Laurel of Sass Attack, RIP
    November 20, 2012 6:27 pm

This is lovely – congrats again!

15. kris
    November 20, 2012 7:32 pm

So happy that you are documenting all of this. I couldn’t even write while I was working, and I didn’t have a baby anything, let alone two! They are too cute and I can hear the joy in your posts. Keep ‘em coming, happy mama.

16. Maya
    November 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Oh I just ….cannot say enough congratulations and GREAT work keeping them in there for so long and I love love love love their names (we totally have “West” on our dream name list, I will say…not much danger there haha) and faces and am just…completely happy for you four and your families. Much love! So much happiness just pouring out of here :)

17. Lea
    November 20, 2012 11:33 pm

A belated congrats on those beautiful baby boys! And what a good thing you are doing for them by putting all this effort into breastfeeding. You’re an amazing mama! And napping with a baby on your chest is hands down the BEST!

18. Lele
    November 20, 2012 11:37 pm

Giggle giggle! You are going to be WONDERFUL! And those boys, especially the second picture is just glorious! Keep those boobs a workin’! I’ll come take night shifts whenever you need me!

19. Tonya Warner
    November 20, 2012 11:43 pm

I know what it is like to breastfeed one baby….it seems they are always attached….can’t imagine two babies! You are amazing and those boys are so lucky! Hang in there….and keep writing things down because before you know it they will be walking and talking!

20. Elizabeth
    November 22, 2012 1:58 am

Yay for the boys being here, and yay for big boobs. :) I am so happy for you guys and I am excited to hear more about them growing up.

21. Elaine
    November 23, 2012 1:06 pm

They are so sweet and cute! I LOVE the pictures of one baby on the chest and the hand on the boppy. You are doing so great!

November 23, 2012 11:08 pm

Janet, those are some amazing little boys you made! I’m glad you’re getting some memories written down; those early days can be such a blur! Glad to see everything’s going well!

November 24, 2012 6:25 pm

You have babies! BABIES! Two of them! It’s all just so wonderful. And the chest nap… I can’t wait for that.

November 25, 2012 4:28 pm

Love how the Dad’s become head diaper changers!

25. Kristin
    November 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Being a mom of a (or mulitple) newborn(s) means there is no such thing as TMI. You’ll talk about and worry about and chart about things you never in a million years would have thought. Motherhood is awesome.
    You are so very lucky that your mom is helping. I only had one at a time but would have loved for my mother to step in and do anything at all – and she lives 5 miles away.

November 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Oh, they are so sweet! I love hearing about them.

27. Alline Saylor
    November 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Congrats on your two beautiful bundles!

28. Emily
    November 27, 2012 8:43 pm

Ahh, I really can’t get enough of this stuff. They are SO sweet. We attended a breastfeeding class last night, it’s such a positive thing… Congrats on your perseverance! It’s fun to see the teamwork between you and Andrew. That’s so good for the babies in more ways than one.

Any nursing tops you’d recommend? Or newborn must-haves. They use a regular boppy to lay in, not the newborn lounger one?

November 27, 2012 9:07 pm

So happy for you, lady! Those boys are so handsome!

30. Tara
    November 28, 2012 5:24 pm

Wow can I relate to all of this. It sounds like my story, but your sons have more days on mine. I’m pumping too and am trying to balance the feeding times. My mom has been a huge help too, but she can only stay with us for a week since she has to get back to work :( I’m already dreading that.