January 29, 2013 · filed under life, twins

twelve weeks old

A quick update on my little loves…

Teddy

Teddy:

• Just tonight we started calling him Little Buddha because he is getting fatter than Holden. At their two month checkup, Teddy weighed one ounce more than Holden, but I bet he gets farther ahead by their next checkup.
  • This boy LOVES to eat! He also doesn’t always know when to stop, which means spit up everywhere. Fun times!
  • His love for eating means he is once again the better breastfeeder. During the day today, he got almost no milk from a bottle — perhaps his best day yet!
  • Still loves his pacifier.
  • Likes it when you sing to him, especially the Clemson fight song (according to his father : ) )
  • Makes such fun faces. His grin is just killer. His eyes and eyebrows are so expressive.
  • He’s my “squeaky wheel” — he lets you know when he want something, and it’s usually milk or a pacifier. Sometimes in the late afternoons and evenings he just needs a little extra help falling asleep for a nap.

Holden

Holden:

• Is so mellow. If he cries, I figure he must really be sad, because it doesn’t happen much.
  • Has the sweetest little grin. I mean, just look at that sweet little cherub face! I love him.
  • Will just stare into my eyes for the longest time. And then I melt.
  • Sometimes finishes his bottle, and sometimes doesn’t. He likes to eat but he isn’t quite as demanding about it as Teddy.
  • Is totally growing a mullet beneath his bald spot in the back of his head.

two boys and their lion

Both boys:

•  Are starting to consolidate their sleep at night. Last night they slept from 10pm to 4am! It was awesome. I fed them at 4, pumped at 4:30, went back to bed at 5, and they woke up again around 7am.
  • Still nap all day long, off and on. Lately it seems like they have been asleep a ton! I try to let them sleep as much as they’re willing. They still eat every 2.5-3 hours during the day.
  • Have started to notice things in their field of vision. I can lay them under a playmat with hanging toys and they will stare at it for 20 minutes.
  • Give us lots of smiles, especially in the morning. We haven’t heard any laughs yet, though.
  • Are wearing 3 month or 3-6 month clothes. I packed up and gave away their newborn outfits. (Le sad!)
  • Get a bath in the sink about once a week. That just seems like enough to me?
  • Are getting pretty strong and stable in the neck. We practice sitting and standing (with LOTS of assistance).
  • Overall they are just such good babies. I know there is no such thing as a bad baby, but truly these are some really good ones. They make having twins about as easy as it can get (which is not easy, but…)

mama and her boys

As for me, I feel very good. This is my first full week home alone all five weekdays with the boys, so perhaps ask me again on Friday. I know that twelve weeks is generally the time that moms go back to work, and honestly, I cannot imagine doing that right now. I am grateful for being able to stay home with them for awhile.

As long as I go to sleep soon after the boys go to sleep (like, right after I hit publish on this post) then I can generally get a stretch of four or five hours of sleep if I’m really lucky. That plus another two hour stretch and a couple of catnaps make me a pretty sane person! I’m trying to plan one outing each day, too (lunch, a walk, an errand).

I’m still doing a somewhat insane combo of breastfeeding, pumping, and bottle feeding. I’m down to only six pumps per day (from eight) and between all of this the boys are only getting about one or two bottles of formula each week. I have no idea how long I’ll keep doing this, but right now I’m just going one day at a time. I had a milestone today when I froze four ounces of milk. Sure, it’s a puny amount, but I’ve been pumping literally around the clock for 12 weeks now and this is the first time I’ve frozen a drop!

My mom was here last week, and now is gone, and this begins the longest stretch of doing this on our own. Thankfully, the boys are doing great and their progress on sleep comes at a good time. Some days are boring, and some tasks are monotonous, but I refuse to wish these days away because I only get them once.

Previously:  two monthsone monththree weekstwo weeks

1. Abbie
    January 29, 2013 11:25 pm

I am in lurrrrve with the photo of you with your loveys. Oh my, how happy that makes me!

2. Aly @ Breathe Gently
    January 30, 2013 12:03 am

Super mum! I am SO happy everything is going well. Rockstars, all of you!

January 30, 2013 12:40 am

Love this.

I have twin nephews and when they were tiny one was so much larger/fatter than the other we called him Gus, named after the fat mouse in Cinderella. Now he’s 9 and a mean, lean, football-soccer-playing machine. His nickname? Oh yes, it’s still Gus. His brother is Pickleforth, for no reason other than his given name is Dylan. Dylan, Dyl, Dill, Dill Pickle….etc. Ah, nicknames. Love them! :)

4. Emily
    January 30, 2013 6:11 am

Janet, it sounds like you are doing so well with your little guys! They are absolutely adorable, and that pic of Holden cracks me up! You’ll have to compare it to his senior pictures in about 18 years! :) Props to you on keeping up with the breastfeeding…not an easy task, and the fact that they only get one or two bottles of formula each week is amazing! You go girl!

Love the pic of you with the boys…so precious! And I have to ask, where did you get those two throws on the back of the chair (I’m assuming they are blankets)? Those are the colors we are using in Liam’s nursery!

5. Shari
    January 30, 2013 8:04 am

I love this update on the wee ones. That first photo of Teddy is awesome. His everything in the shot is great. Did you take these photos or did your mom? They are amazing. (both the photos and the boys!)

Sound like you are doing an awesome job with twins. I am sure your first full alone with them will be a milestone but it seems to me you have your P’ & Q’s in order.

Thanks for keep us up to date with you all!

Shari

6. Patricia daly
    January 30, 2013 9:47 am

Janet. You are amazing. Those boys “Buddha bellies ” prove it. I love the updates and pictures. – Patty

7. Zan
    January 30, 2013 9:49 am

As a few ladies have already noticed, that photo of you with the boys is AWESOME! I bet you don’t get in nearly enough photos because you’re usually the one taking them. At least that’s how it is in my household. :)

January 30, 2013 10:24 am

You are doing so well, especially with twins! I was never able to freeze any breastmilk (exclusive pumper over here) so that’s a HUGE accomplishment. I feel like 12 weeks was right around the time things started to get more manageable so hopefully things will only get better/easier from here for you. Adorable photos! Those boys are just too cute.

9. Katharine
    January 30, 2013 11:08 am

You’re positively glowing! I know we’ve never met in person, but after following your blog for so many years, I feel as if we have. And I must say, I am just so THRILLED for you. Congrats, my dear.

January 30, 2013 1:21 pm

They are so cute and so perfect and so precious!

January 30, 2013 1:33 pm

Seeing you holding those babies made my day.

12. Chrissie
    January 30, 2013 1:34 pm

The photo of you with your twins is so precious! I’m so happy for you, and it’s great to hear that things are going well and you’re enjoying a routine. I’m sure this is just the most wonderful time for you guys. :)

13. Kandi
    January 30, 2013 2:12 pm

What handsome boys! I enjoy reading these updates and seeing the photos. I find it difficult not to favorite all your instagram photos of these guys. It makes me yearn to start my own family but we’re not quite there yet.

14. jobonga
    January 30, 2013 5:41 pm

Ack! Illegal levels of adorableness here. I hope Holden someday chooses to recreate that chin-propped picture as an adult.
    Glad to hear you’re hanging in there!

January 30, 2013 7:38 pm

aw this makes me so happy to hear you’re all doing so well! and good luck with your week alone, you can do it super mom! xo

January 30, 2013 8:58 pm

Those eyes are just killer. Such cuties!

January 30, 2013 10:12 pm

What little dolls! So happy you have them.

18. Elaine
    January 31, 2013 9:48 am

I cannot believe how big they are!

19. Jenna
    February 1, 2013 10:17 pm

I just found you through Liz’ Blog Crushes and after thumbing through your blog had to leave a comment!! By my calculations, my son is 7 days older than your twins. I also developed pre-e (HELLP Syndrome, more specifically) out of no where at 34 weeks and had an emergency c-section. Lincoln had to stay in the NICU for 28 days, but is growing strong to show everyone what a fighter he is! I’m glad to see your boys are doing well and are healthy and strong. I can’t wait to stalk … I mean go through your blog more thoroughly to learn more about you and your beautiful family! :)

20. Suzanne
    February 2, 2013 7:30 pm

Sooo cute!! Nursing won’t always be this demanding – if you can get through until the pediatrician says you can start with some rice cereal or something, then it’s just so nice to still have that close time. I am honestly so impressed with your nursing so far. Nursing and pumping and nursing and pumping.

21. Lea
    February 2, 2013 10:27 pm

Your boys are absolutely adorable! And I simply love the one of you with them. You’re doing a great job, mama!

February 4, 2013 5:59 pm

Super proud of you for making it this far with the breastfeeding! Can’t wait to see them soon!

23. Tara
    February 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Again, what great photos you’re taking of your boys. I need some tips! are you using a special camera?