brooklyn college mental health counseling medsnoprescriptiononline.com weight loss plans pills

February 25, 2013 · filed under food

crowdsourcing: grilled cheese and side salad

How about a slight diversion from All Twins All The Time? A few weeks ago I posed this question on Twitter, and I wanted to compile the answers here for us all to read and drool over.

grilled cheese tweet

Rhiannon ?@RhiRhi Apple butter, sharp cheddar, bacon.

RA ?@DefinitelyRA Granny smith apple and brie, followed closely by sun-dried tomato and goat cheese

Jennifer ?@jayesel I’m mostly a purist. But I like adding a bit of ham & maybe a few onion slices? Or mozzarella w/basil etc is yummy

RA ?@DefinitelyRA Pepper jelly would be good! You could also roast some garlic and shmear that in there.

Annie Z ?@Annikins822 Pesto, tomato and mozzarella. Grilled cheese taken up a notch

Mrs. Violet ?@ShyLittleViolet Old Amsterdam (aged cheddar), Gouda & a little Iberico, grilled onion & tomato on sourdough.

KGirl ?@NorthofSeven Sharp cheddar on walnut fig bread. Simple. And delicious!

diane ?@gingermaxim thin slices of avocado with havarti. Yummmm

atomickandi ?@atomickandi mozzarella, tomato, basil (but only during tomato season)

Janet ?@confettilife jalape

1. Melissa L
    February 26, 2013 11:43 am

I’m sort of a grilled cheese purist too, but I love Swiss, American and Provolone 3-cheese grilled cheese. My hubby smears some mayo on it before the cheese cools. I dip mine in mustard or honey french dressing.

Might be weird, but very tasty!

February 26, 2013 12:22 pm

I don’t know if this is the most frou-frou grilled cheese, but it’s what we ate all the time growing up and it’s my comfort food (with creamy tomato soup). We’d have cheddar (Tillamook) and tuna with a few slices of tomato and dill pickle. When I’m having a rotten day I still crave this. It wasn’t until I was in my 20’s that I discovered a “tuna melt” was an actual thing outside of my home.

(Also, I have many memories of my Mom making us grilled cheese (with tuna!) and tomato soup and having a picnic underneath the dining room table. Not sure why that location was selected, but we loved it. It was a very sad day when we replaced the dining room table and the new one had a huge bar in the middle (instead of 4 free-standing legs) and under-the-table picnics were out forever.)

3. Erin
    February 26, 2013 12:23 pm

So simple, but my favorite grilled cheese is with sharp cheddar, tomato, and bacon with salt on the bread/butter… SO good!

4. Mel
    February 26, 2013 2:39 pm

I missed the grilled cheese one! One of our current faves: candied bacon, jalapeno and extra sharp cheddar. TO DIE FOR.

5. Nic
    February 26, 2013 6:22 pm

The best grilled cheese I have ever had was at Five Restaurant in Berkeley, CA. It was Pimento cheese and cheddar. It’s been several years and the friend/colleague I shared that lunch with and I still reminisce over it. Amazing.

Homemade, I had read about Thomas Keller’s from Bouchon and decided to recreate it: gruyere and fontina on brioche. You’re welcome.

My regular homemade side salad is simple mixed greens with a quick vinaigrette. I’ve found the key to making it taste restaurant good is to use room temp lettuce, not cold. I loooove throwing pickled red onions on top if I have them around.

6. K.C.
    February 27, 2013 10:33 am

Swiss, avocado, and tomato. Delish.

Weeknight salad — romaine (or mixed greens) with sliced pear, bleu/gorgonzola cheese, craisins, and Ken’s Italian dressing. Sometimes I’ll mix it up and do pear, avocado, craisins, shaved parmesean, and toasted sliced almonds with champagne vinaigrette. (The latter is a knock-off of Founding Farmers’ harvest salad.)

February 27, 2013 5:31 pm

mmm so many good suggestions here, i basically say add apple to either and it’s delicious!

February 27, 2013 7:52 pm

One time my brother was over and we were watching the grilled cheese Throwdown with Bobby Flay. So my brother and my husband ran to the grocery store and had a certain amount of money they were allowed to spend and a certain amount of time to buy stuff and then could use our pantry and they made grilled cheese and I judged. Best. Day. Ever.

9. heidi
    February 28, 2013 1:44 pm

I used to have one at Finn MacCool’s on the hill (back when it still existed) that was grilled cheese with guacamole and tomato.

Best. Grilled cheese. Ever.