July 15, 2013 · filed under home, life

state of the move

When I moved to DC more than nine years ago, it was always in my “five year plan” to move home to Denver (even though I haven’t lived there since high school and technically I lived in the ‘burbs anyway). Then we built a pretty great life here — friends, jobs, house, etc — and it seemed like maybe we’d stay. DC is a great city and we absolutely love our neighborhood of Capitol Hill.

We had the twins and started to look at the prices of 3 bedroom houses, and oof. Not really gonna happen! Our choices were for me to work full-time and find a magically cheap child care solution, and/or move to the outer suburbs and spend our lives commuting.

Andrew approached his company about working remotely and they were very supportive of it. Suddenly it felt like the scales tipped toward moving. We could live within minutes of grandparents, buy twice as much house for the same price, and keep the job that supports our family? How could we say no?

Honestly, though, it’s bittersweet. DC has a million things to do (many of them free!). It’s the center of the political universe. We are close to Andrew’s family. We have the world’s best friends here who have supported us through our worst and our best times.

Ultimately we are trying to take the long view and think about the best place for Teddy and Holden to grow up. We hope that we can buy a bigger house where they’ll have room to play, and a yard to run around. Hopefully the public schools will be better and the overall work-life-family balance will be improved for everyone.

As for the logistics — it’s been a busy few months! In May and June we decluttered like crazy people. This house has never in its 104 year history looked so spiffed up! In late June we went on the market and the house sold in 11 days. HURRAH! It wasn’t easy to keep it in showing condition with two little ones, but less than two weeks is pretty much a dream and I can’t complain. Now we are in the period between contract and closing, which means packing.  Lots and lots and lots of packing.

In early August we are scheduled to close on the house, and we fly to Denver the next morning. My parents are kind enough to fly out here just to drive our car back. Can you imagine us driving 25+ hours with two infants? — hahahahaha, NO.

Once we get to Denver we are living in a vrbo.com rental house. It’s even tinier than our current house, but hopefully we will live there just about two months. We will start looking for a permanent house when we get there, but so far we aren’t sure about which neighborhood, old vs. new, etc. I’ve been trying to go one step at a time so as to not lose my mind.

Once we get all settled in to our hypothetical new house, I’ll start looking for a new job, and transition out of my year as a SAHM. That’s a much longer topic for another day, but it’s definitely on the horizon for us as part of the bigger picture of moving and kiddos growing up.

In the span of 12 months we will have had two babies, sold a house, moved 1,700 miles, rented a house, and bought a house (hopefully). That’s not crazy at all! But really, we are excited, a bit terrified, and just really damn busy.

Here are a couple of photos from when the house was on the market.

Living area

Our bedroom

Nursery

If you have any tips about moving with kids, moving across the country, the city of Denver, or anything else, I’d love to hear them! If there’s anything you’re curious about that I didn’t cover, just ask and I’ll answer in the comments.

1. Lex
    July 16, 2013 7:43 am

Advice:
    Try to get involved and meet other moms ASAP! Force yourself out the door!

July 16, 2013 9:12 am

Wow! It’s awesome that Andrew will be able to work remotely! It sounds like things fell into place smoothly, although I’m sure not EASILY, as it were. The house looked great at showing!

I’m sad that you won’t be on the east coast any more, but I’m glad that visiting the in-laws will bring you back to the area every now and then. How do they feel about your move?

• Janet
      July 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Thanks, RA! I think they are understandably sad — and we are sad to be moving away from them. But, we have tickets back for November already! :)

3. Rosie
    July 16, 2013 9:27 am

Interesting that we moved FROM Denver to Charlottesville, VA for most of the very same reasons!

That being said, I miss Colorado so much it hurts. It’s now in our 5-year plan to move BACK, because after trying the whole east coast thing, we’re now pretty certain we want Linden to grow up Colorado-style.

Anyway, Denver! We lived in the Highlands neighborhood (NW Denver city, not to be confused with Highlands Ranch). It’s changed a lot since we first moved there in 2004 (as in, it’s gotten very pricey and popular) but I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the neighborhood. Very walkable and close to downtown, great parks, cute older bungalows, lots of young families. If you’re looking for something newer, both Stapleton and Lowry are chock full of young families. I worked in Golden, and really liked it out there, too.

If you have any other questions, let me know. Good luck! I’m jealous :)

• Janet
      July 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks, Rosie! We have good friends with twin boys in Charlottesville. Too funny that you made the opposite move as us.

We have heard so much about the Highlands! It’s on the list to check out for sure.

July 16, 2013 11:19 am

I have to say, I’m pretty jealous of how perfectly everything just came together for you. I’m dying to do a similar cross-country move but I guess not getting what I want is teaching me patience. I hate life lessons. ha!

Your old house is so cute! I love how you decorated it. I’m sure you’ll miss it but the future ahead is going to be 10 times better, I just know it.

• Janet
      July 16, 2013 1:08 pm

It kind of seems too good to be true. We are lucky that our house didn’t decline in value, which is what is keeping a lot of people from making moves right now. I hope it works out for you guys — any chance you’d move to Denver? ;)

July 16, 2013 12:42 pm

Yay Denver!! Of course, selfishly, I am thrilled you’ll be a lot closer to ME, and (less selfishly) a lot closer to your family and the way you grew up. The East Coast is great, but, in my opinion, nothing beats the Rocky Mountains :)

6. Melissa L
    July 16, 2013 3:10 pm

WOW what a change! Best of luck with it all!

July 16, 2013 9:17 pm

I have a belief that when things are meant to be, they work themselves out just like this. Can’t wait to see what new adventures await your family in CO!

8. Kandi
    July 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Such an exciting and chaotic time for you guys. Your house in DC is so lovely! I hope you’ll share how you decorate your CO house too.
    Thanks for the plates! It was so nice to meet you and get to see those adorable babies!!

July 17, 2013 3:03 pm

SO! EXCITING!

I’m inordinately excited for you. : )

10. Elaine
    July 19, 2013 4:47 pm

I am SO EXCITED!!!!

July 19, 2013 4:50 pm

You sound very organized about the whole thing! I’m sure it hasn’t been easy. I hope it all goes well. And if you were driving, I’d totally make you swing up through MI for a play date.

July 21, 2013 8:32 pm

It’s going to be awesome! And your house is SO cute.

I’m dying to hear more about your plans for a new job – frankly, I don’t know exactly what it was you did before, and I’d love to hear more about what you’re hoping to do in the future.

July 25, 2013 10:59 am

Oh my, I’m so far behind. This is BIG news. And exciting news, as I know you’ve been wanting to move back to CO for a long time. I’m happy for your little family and all the exciting things that await you.

Congrats on selling your house so quickly. (It looks great, BTW.) (Man, I remember when you first bought that house.)

I have no words of wisdom or advice to offer. I’m just excited for you….

:-)

14. Sarah
    July 26, 2013 3:14 pm

We moved from Alaska to Virginia when my twin girls were five months old. My biggest piece of advice is to spend the extra money for help unpacking and try your best to keep your schedule. Good luck!

July 28, 2013 11:43 pm

After (gulpity-gulp) 18 years of never living in the same state I am so ecstatic about the idea that you will be only a drive away!!!!!!

16. jessica
    July 30, 2013 7:08 am

oh peas, I am so excited for you guys! I agree that the highlands is great. I loved living in congress park and you may get a little more house for your money there currently. The area along 6th between colorado and quebec is lovely as well and has generally bigger yards although feels slightly more suburb-y. No matter where you live I believe you will find that denver is the perfect place to raise your gorgeous boys. In fact I think I may join you…